Chapter Twenty-Four

(Name). (Name). (Name).

My mind, normally plagued with the voices of those that could always be heard but never seen, had found itself infected with a new illness; (Name).

Her image infiltrated my very consciousness. I knew from the moment that she had been capable of freezing me in my place on Jack's cabin floor that my entire life had changed, but it seemed that the more time I spent away from her, the stronger the infection grew.

She was contagious in the worst way; her virus was a deadly strain of infatuation and it was transmitted through all forms of matter. And I wasn't the only one who had felt it.

When Jeff first tried recruiting me to capture the same girl I had originally asked him to capture, I had thought he was just deep into one of his world-famous delusions. But was he really delusional at all?

"She fucking made me feel, Toby,"

I nodded in a knowing agreement, wanting to hear exactly how her infection had enamored him, if it had done to him exactly what it had done to me.

"I first met her, and had no fucking regard for her pathetic life. She was just another human captured by Jack. But I got back here, and- just, something snapped. She fucking beat my ass for Christ sake!"

How lucky a man I would have been to be abused by the girl. She could ruin me, and I knew it.

"For as long as I can remember, nobody has been able to make me feel anything other than seething rage. And seeing her, glowing with her own rage, it just- I feel like she matched me. She reflected on the outside what I had always felt inside. She beat me like she had always been an underdog, and had finally got her moment to strike back,"

And for the first time since knowing Jeff, I sympathized with him. I had wondered if it was worse for Jeff, knowing that she had confirmed his twisted delusions with her sickly-sweet, venomous words, but a more looming question hung in my head; how had it affected Jack? Being alongside her for an extended period of time surely would etch away at his psyche. Yet, it was Jack. He had been through more with the Operation than almost all of us, save for Tim, and was notorious for his stoic and numb approach. Any human life, to him, was a life wasted.

And that scared me. If she just disappeared one day, never to be seen again at the hands of Jack, would I be able to refrain myself from killing him? 

Such complex emotions, especially for someone numb to damn near everything. They swirled in my head; a vortex of uncharted territory I was more than apprehensive to explore.

You'd kill Jack if he hurt her, Toby.

You'd kill yourself if he hurt her, Toby.

Why don't you kill yourself now, save all the planning?

Come on, you know you want to die. You won't have to be so confused then.

I smacked a palm harshly against the side of my skull; it had been happening a lot more after the encounter with the girl. 

One thing was for sure; nor Jeff or I knew what seemingly mystical power this girl had, but we would get to the bottom of it. Us being the only ones who really understood, it only made sense for an alliance to form between us. Little did he know, however, was that if it came down to her being with him or myself, it would be me, as I would absolutely decimate anyone who dared get in my way.

--Jack POV--

'you're onto something here, jackie-boy' sent at 2:45 A.M.

I read the message over a few times, and debated internally if leaving (Name) with Tim was such a great idea on my end. Then, I stopped myself short.