Chapter Nine

Ding dong.

"What have you done?" I hissed through my teeth at the girl that had already caused me more trouble than she was worth. I knew she couldn't have called police, she had been in my direct line of sight since I had arrived at the house.

The echo of the doorbell lingered in the house, my teeth grinding against one another.

I wrapped my free hand around her throat tightly, but not enough to actually restrict airflow. I nearly had her out the back door, and now this. Nothing about this mission so far had been as easy as I had expected, which, frankly, pissed me off. My expectations were never this off, and a human being the cause of it made my blood boil in my veins.

I had to think quickly. Even if I threw her over my shoulder and ran, it would still create enough noise for whoever was on the other side of the front door to realize someone was inside. And should I have her open the door, her scratched and bruised face caked with dry blood would most definitely raise concern. Even if her battered face wasn't enough, the small gleam of metal connecting her wrist to my own would surely be.

"Fuck," I muttered under my breath, quickly settling on one of the unfavorable options.

With my hand still in a vice grip around her throat, I leaned close to her, my mask touching the outside of her ear.

"You've caused this, you will end it. Open the door. If you scream, or say anything telling..." I trailed off, sure she knew what I was aiming at.

She nodded quickly as I removed my hand from her neck, turning the bruise she already had from our previous encounter an even deeper shade of black, purple trim around the edges. That would surely take quite some time to heal.

I tried to stand back as far as I could, but being chained to the problematic female made it a difficult feat to stay out of sight when she slowly opened the door.

At first, she cracked it open only about an inch or two, then opened it more, only enough to reveal her shoulder.

"Hello? Who's there?" She called out softly, her voice strained and dull.

"It's officer Neil,(Name). I have your laptop here for you,"

She glanced over her shoulder, looking at me. I quickly signaled her to turn around with my free hand, as the cuffed hand was pulled too taught to move from trying to be distant from her.

What is she trying to do? Directly tell a police officer that she wasn't alone? An absolute imbecile.

"O-oh, um, t-thank you," She was being too obvious, her voice cracking as she visibly fought the urge to look behind her.

I stood quickly, making my presence known to the officer. She was already being too suspicious. I had to take care of it before anything was started.

"Thank you, Neil, was it? I'll be taking that," I outstretched my free hand to quickly snatch the laptop from him. He didn't seem shocked to see a masked man handcuffed to a girl, which in turn shocked me.

I tilted my head in question, and he raised his arms in a dismissive manner as he cast his gaze to the ground, a slight smirk on his face.

"As far as I'm concerned, when I get phone calls from Tim to show up somewhere with something, I just do it,"

Ah. So he was the informant in the police department I had heard about a few times. Tim must have called him and informed him that I was here. At least that would make the issue of acquiring the laptop easier. Slenderman had told me not to worry about it, but I always liked having a back-up plan in case something didn't go quite as expected.

How did Tim know I was here? I hadn't informed any of my colleagues of my plan to take the girl so soon. Then again, I should know better than to question the thoroughness by now. 

"I see. Well if that's it, then," I started to shut the door with my free hand as (Name) looked between me and the officer, betrayal lacing her tearful eyes as they lingered on Neil a little longer than on me.

"Actually," He held a piece of paper toward (Name), who tried to back up from the offer. I didn't make an effort to pull her back to her original spot, either. I skimmed over the paper quickly. It was some sort of sign-off sheet confirming that she had received the laptop in person.

I glanced at her shaking form just over my shoulder, and when her eyes met with my face, I gestured toward the paper.

"Sign it."

Without hesitation, she took the paper from officer Neil, and took the pen he offered directly after. She signed it quickly, handing both the pen and paper back to him. He quickly smiled to her, nodded his head toward me in an unspoken agreement to keep this little incident between us, and turned to take his leave.

"Help me!" (Name) abruptly yelled from beside me. Neil opened the door to his police cruiser and took his seat without closing the door, his hand resting on its handle.

"Darling, you just look like two adults that are into some strange stuff. No cause for concern,"

He chuckled and shut the door, his engine sputtering to life before he drove away.

I slammed the door shut, turning my attention back to the girl. I switched the laptop from my free hand to my cuffed hand quickly.

I didn't even think about it. I balled my fist so hard my nails cut into my flesh, warm blood tickling the skin of my knuckles as it trailed down my arm. 

The sound of contact was gruesome and sickening, a deafening craccckkkk echoing throughout the eerily silent house. She had lost consciousness not even a second after.

It'll be easier to carry her at this point, since she likes to scream and try to fight.

I slung the unconscious girl over my shoulder, her dead-weight legs swinging slightly as I hastily made my way out the back door.

With (Name) draped over my shoulder and the laptop clutched tightly in my free hand, I smirked to myself as I reveled in the fact that I had gained possession of the two most important pieces of my last assignment; and all in one night to boot!

A piece of cake.

-- I wrote this story and literally hate Neil so much, I debated having Jack kill him in this chapter, but he'll be useful a few more times throughout the story before his end.

What are our thoughts on Neil being a backstabbing little bitch?

What do we think of Jack just watching the interaction between Neil and (Name) as she asked for help?

Chapter ten coming tomorrow yall! As always, if you're going to Meatball, do it Extravagantly.--