Chapter Twenty-Two

Despite how angry I found myself with (Name) and how she had reacted, along with how angry I was at Tim and Brian for their idea of a punishment, I also found myself sort of understanding Jeff's obsession with her. Of course, his delusions were personalized to him and probably would never make sense to anyone but him, but still, I related. And what scared me most about it was that when I had been given a moment to try and attack her for what she had done, I had froze up.

She had picked up on Jeff's infatuation with her instantly, not needing even a partial explanation of his true thoughts. Jeff was much darker than most could fathom, but (Name)? She not only understood it, but tweaked her approach accordingly to play into his twisted visions. And if it wasn't for that, the girl wouldn't have interested me in the slightest. Yet, it happened, and I was irrevocably interested.

When Jack had torn Jeff from the top of me, I knew I could have attacked the pesky woman for pinning an absolute psychopath against me. Yet, I couldn't force my body from the floor. My vision, completely overtook with some sort of flashback or hallucination, (it was hard to tell these days) showed the only person from my past that I ever cared for. Paralyzed by the sight of my sister's sweet face, my brain thought only of (Name), yet saw Lyra. 

I sarcastically pondered if coming in contact with Jeff's skin was enough to absorb his insanity, knowing it was impossible. Each and every one of us had our own patented brand of mental illness, and delusions about 'higher powers' just wasn't my cup of tea. But believing that my sister had come back to me in the form of (Name) was a thought too overpowering to bear. I collapsed on my bed, breath hitching in my chest as tears threatened to fall down my disfigured face. I ripped away my mask, and reached to remove my goggles, but remembered how Jeff had punched them clean off my face, effectively destroying them.

I'd definitely have to hand Jeff his ass later on for turning on a proxy at the will of an outsider, but after meeting her, I didn't blame him. While he was still in the wrong, he was also onto something. She had this pull; something magic loomed in the air surrounding her mere presence; she had captivated Jeff, had won the protection of Jack, and ultimately had captured my own attention.

I threw myself onto my un-made bed, thoughts racing faster than the answers could catch up. I found part of myself wishing that I had never listened into the Conversation Room that day. If I had just taken the punishment without wanting to retaliate, I wouldn't be in such a strange position. I wasn't the type to feel anything for anyone. I didn't feel bad when I murdered families, leaving children to go into the system. I didn't feel bad when I stole from the homeless and left them in tears. I didn't even feel bad when I cracked my own father's skull open with an axe. But now, in a position that forced me to feel, forced me to dig up the grave of things I had buried years ago,  I reveled in it. Never had an outsider elicited such emotion from me; I had thought I wasn't capable of such intense emotions anymore. But as I lay sprawled out on my bed, raking my hands through my hair with the faintest of tears rolling down my cheeks, I smiled. If I couldn't feel physical pain, I could feel emotional pain, and it was exciting.

--Jack POV--

She hadn't made any move to attack me after I had challenged her placement of loyalty; she had done as she had before and just cried. I didn't care to hear her tears as I was frustrated from not being able to finish my trek to (Name)'s house. I had a few favors I could call in and ask Tim and Brian to come watch her for me, but I wasn't so sure if that was something I wanted to subject them to. Toby's reaction, or lack thereof, hadn't escaped my vigilant senses. Instead of attacking her as I had anticipated him to, especially after she had quite effortlessly turned Jeff against him, he just froze. Quite literally, he stayed glued in place to the floor of my cabin, his eyes unblinking and his limbs awkwardly rigid. I knew it wasn't fear of his life ending at the hands of Jeff that froze him in his place; I would have been able to smell his fear. The scent pouring off of him in waves was of an emotion I wasn't familiar with; I assumed that if I didn't recognize it, neither did he, which caused him a momentary lapse in judgement.