Chapter Nineteen

My phone buzzed in my pocket, slightly startling me. I grabbed the device without faltering in my pace to (Name)'s house. She needed food, and quite frankly, I needed space from her. I didn't anticipate this assignment being as difficult as it proved to be, and that detail alone was enough to throw me off. As experienced as I was dealing with humans, this human was different. She surprised me with the things she said and did, and not in a good way. If she was unpredictable, she was a liability. I hadn't even been able to open the laptop let alone complete the transfer due to her lie about Neil, then Jeff coming to 'take' the girl.

Oh, shit.

I hadn't told Tim about Neil, that he hadn't really given away my name. Is it something I wanted to correct, though? With all the drama we were all already going through, did I really want to explain to them that my captive had dreamed about me before ever meeting me and that's how she really  grew to know my name?

I didn't let that statement pass me by any means when she had told me the truth. She had dreamed of me before ever meeting me. In another world, maybe that would have sounded whimsical, but in my world, it was well within the bounds of normal. I'd have to question her later as to when these dreams started so I could try and put a timeline together. If the dreams started when the decision was made that I would take over the Marble Hornet's assignment, I could sum it up to her being capable of foreseeing. Yet, she hinted at something that had happened in my past. Why would seeing my past aid her in her future if she hadn't even met me in that time?

I didn't bother unlocking the smartphone as dreaded questions about a human spun through my mind. A message notification showed in the corner next to the time, reading 9:55 P.M. The day had gone by in a haze, and I found myself slightly irritated that I had spent the day in the company of Jeff. Surely, he wouldn't take a beating from a woman and just walk away, he would be coming back any day now; (Name) wouldn't be able to protect herself, and so it would fall on me to do so.

Did I particularly want to protect the human?

Yes, I did. She had peaked the most dangerous trait I possessed; curiosity. She knew my name and a small piece of my background without me mentioning it and without any outside interference, and that was intriguing. Not to mention that she still played an extremely important role in my very last assignment before freedom encompassed me, which in the beginning, I had been apprehensive about. Now? I was impatient for it. It would mean that I no longer had to tolerate some of the more insufferable associates, and that in itself was well-worth all the troubles this last assignment had been causing me.

'call me when you get this. kinda important' sent from Tim at 9:58 P.M.

I had retreated in my thoughts for too long, my focus being swayed slightly by the thoughts of the human.

Before I even had a chance to dial his number, the device began buzzing in my hand.

I answered yet said nothing, waiting for him to speak first. 

"Hey, you expecting company at your uh, place?"

"No, why?"

"You'll be getting some soon, just saw him making his way past Neil's complex."

Jeff

And of course, she's alone.

Fuck.

--(Name) POV--

The hunger pains only grew worse with nothing to entertain me; all I had left to focus on was the gnawing pain my stomach from days upon days of not eating. Jack had only been gone all of an hour, but not knowing exactly where the cabin was located didn't give me much of an idea of when he'd be back. 

As I sat upon the queen size bed in the small room, my thoughts engulfed themselves completely around him; Jack.  

If I hadn't ever met him, my life would have been fine. I would still be able to sleep in my own bed, which, after the only form of sleep I was currently getting was when I was knocked unconscious by the monster who kidnapped me, sounded absolutely heavenly. I held heavy resentment toward him for stealing the life I had worked so hard for from me in less than a night. Though, in a strange way, Jack interested me. I had nightmares about him that told me incredibly useful things about him and his past, and a part of me, though I had tried to push away that part, still wanted to know why. And yet even after telling him the truth about Neil, cursing him out in the woods after I had tried to escape, and trying with every fiber of my being to attack him with the handcuffs back in my house, he had saved my life. Jeff would have killed me with how tightly he was holding my throat. My hand gingerly raised to caress the heavy bruising; the color must have been something sickly. The bruising that Jack had left just a day or two before couldn't have healed yet, for he had strangled me into unconsciousness; those marks mixed with Jeff's would make the most vomit-inducing color palette for sure.

He wasn't one for discussing his motives, either. He claimed he had none, only followed orders given by a boss or a leader of some sort. But, I wasn't dumb, and neither was he. I was surprised that he had even spouted something like that to me knowing I could see through it. If there was multiple things about Jack left in questioning, at least I knew one thing for sure was true; Jack was a terrible liar.

Maybe I'd have another nightmare about him and get something new to blackmail him with and really throw him off, get him to talk.

Just as I was concocting ways to get into my captor's psyche, I heard the front door to the cabin open and promptly slam shut.

Though I hated how I could recognize Jack, either by his mannerisms, or his voice, or even his heavy, boot-clad footsteps, it had saved my ass last time knowing the voice that rang out wasn't Jack's.

"I know you're here, (Name). I'm here to save you, and I even brought a friend for you,"

A second pair of heavy footsteps vibrated against the cabin floor with every step.

'H-hey (N-N-Name), come out and f-f-ucking play,"

Fucking great, Jeff and 'friends'.

--Hey, this chapter is shorter and I'm sorry about that.. I'm exhausted. The next update will likely be on this coming Monday, I work all through the weekend and typically work a 9am to 7:30pm sundays, so it leaves me exhausted. thank you to the people who have recently added my book to their library and who have been leaving votes, yall mean everything to me, especially because i didnt expect this book to even get 5 views. i wanted this story to be the fanfiction my 13 year old self would have wanted <3 love yall

And as always, if you're going to Meatball, do it Extravagntly.--