Chapter 5

Camelot was much bigger than she imagined.

She was in absolute awe as they entered through the gates near the lower town, making their way up to the mammoth citadel.

Though, after giving her a few days to settle in, Miriam had made an unfortunate discovery. The discovery that Arthur was nothing like he'd been in Ealdor.

She was appalled by the way he treated Merlin, and had proved to be the arrogant idiot that was completely oblivious that Merlin had written to her about.

With the assistance of Guinevere, Miriam now had a few dresses to choose from to wear throughout her time at the Court, Gaius already having appointed her his apprentice as her time healing her own wounds and others in Ealdor gave her an intermediate knowledge of healing. A better knowledge than Merlin, at least. And he enjoyed being given a little less work to do.

And that was why she stood with Gaius in the King's war room, shadowing the physician as his primary apprentice, the king not having batted an eyelid at her upon Gaius' introduction of her.

As the men were in deep discussion, the doors were opened as the prince walked in, her brother in tow as they returned from their hunt, Merlin also carrying an object displayed on a red cushion.

"Father, a unicorn's horn to grace the walls of Camelot," he explained as an impressed look covered Uther's face as he set the parchments in his hand onto the tale, and dread began to pool in Miriam's heart.

She may not have had the same powers as Merlin but something in her was screaming that only devastation would come from the heinous act of killing a unicorn.

No evil tale had ever been told of one, so Miriam had no idea why Arthur would even want to slay such a beautiful creature. She couldn't imagine how it had been for Merlin who likely had to watch it occur.

"Magnificent," Uther marvelled as he approached Merlin. "It's the first one I've seen. Gaius, look at this," he instructed as he picked it up for the healer to see.

"Tis very impressive, my lord," Gaius answered robotically, and Uther could tell he didn't mean it.

"What is it, Gaius? Speak your mind."

"Unicorns are rare and mystical creatures. There is a legend that says bad fortune will come to anyone who slays one," he answered but Arthur and Uther only laughed at him.

"Nonsense. We will be the envy of every kingdom," Uther proclaimed as he clapped his son's shoulder, Arthur with a satisfied smile on his face.

"I'm glad you like it," Arthur replied.

"Forgive me, my lords," Miriam spoke up, Merlin and Gaius growing worried after exchanging a look. "But I wouldn't dismiss Gaius' warning, for every legend is born of a truth."

Uther merely dismissed the girl with a wave as he walked off with the unicorn horn while Arthur studied her, arms still crossed over his chest and an amused look still on his face.

"Be that as it may, Mira, there are hundreds of other legends, rumours and myths surrounding unicorns. Who's to say that the seed of truth isn't one of those?"

And with that, the smug prince followed after his father, Miriam scowling at his back.

"Only my friends call me that."

******************************************************************

"I don't understand how Arthur can have taken any pleasure from killing the unicorn," Merlin said as he, Gaius and Miriam walked out of the castle.

"Arthur is a hunter, it's in his blood. Whereas you both have something entirely different."

"But I don't have what Merlin does Gaius," Miriam pointed out, not daring to say the word magic in public.

"That may be, but that does not mean that you aren't special or just as capable."

Miriam gave the old man a kind smile before Merlin brought them to a halt.

"It was the most beautiful creature I have ever seen," he said. "I wish the both of you could've been there."

"It's a rare privilege. Alas, there are very few unicorns still alive," Gaius replied.

"You try telling Arthur that," Merlin muttered.

"I really have a hard time believing that prat is supposed to be the future king of Albion," Miriam said and Merlin chuckled.

"You and me both. See you later," Merlin said as he bid them goodbye before heading off to serve Arthur.

"Nevertheless, Miriam, would you assist me in doing some reading on Unicorns? If the curse is true, I'd like to have some knowledge on how to break it."

Miriam gave him a kind smile as she bowed her head.

"Of course, Gaius. I'll begin immediately."

And with that, she was off, but she still couldn't ignore the twisted feeling in her heart that things were about to grow worse.