Chapter 18

(A/N: Thank you guys for 1000 reads!)

******************************************************************

To Miriam's surprise, when she returned, Arthur was already asleep but on her bedroll on the floor and there was a white orchid left on the made bed.

Arthur's snores were soft as Miriam sat on the bed, still in her cloak after having set her pail of water down and brought the flower to her nose, its scent sweet.

Part of the reason why Ealdor had always felt too small for her was that Hunith had been a mother that told her children stories of the amazing world they lived in as well as worlds beyond it. Miriam was a dreamer long before she could walk. And in one of the many tales Hunith told, she told Miriam and Merlin of the significance of white orchids. White orchids were a symbol of forgiveness.

And when Arthur sat on his horse the next morning, face hidden beneath his helm as he conjured a plan to win Miriam's forgiveness, he was taken aback when he saw her in the stands next to Gwen, Miriam having left before he woke, his breakfast steaming on the table.

She wore a simple white cotton dress today, her corset littered with similar blooms to the ones braided in her dark hair, the blooms being the white orchid that Arthur had given her.

He knew full well that though she'd accepted the gesture, it did not mean that she forgave him yet.

And after advancing into the final, Miriam was unable to help her chuckle as 'Sir William of Deira' came out to bask in the admiration of the people. Merlin, however, had whispered to Gwen earlier to keep Miriam busy for a few hours after the joust, the two girls walking in the market as they picked up a few essentials for Morgana and Gaius alike.

And when she did finally return to Gwen's house, Gwen herself having retired to her rooms in the castle, she was pleasantly shocked by what awaited her inside.

Every candle in the room was lit, a fresh bouquet of white orchids in a small vase on the table along with two hot dinners.

"What is this?" she asked Arthur, who stood at the centre of it all with a small smile on his face.

"An apology for my behaviour over the last few days. I hope you like chicken," he said as he gestured to the meal and Miriam furrowed her brows.

"You cooked this?" she asked in surprise and Arthur bit his lips.

"I'm going to refrain from being offended seeing as I'm trying to apologise, but yes, I did cook this, so please," he said as he helped ease her cloak off her shoulders and guided her towards her seat. "Dine with me," he asked and Miriam only gave him a look but complied as she sat down.

Arthur watched in intrigue and anxiety as Miriam cut into her food before taking a bite, chewing slowly before passing judgement.

"This is delicious," she said and relief passed through Arthur.

"I'm glad you like it," he replied genuinely.

"You really did all this by yourself to garner my forgiveness?"

"Is that so hard to believe?" Arthur said honestly. "You are my friend and you were and are trying to help me, there was no excuse for my behaviour, so I alone wanted to make it up to you."

"Mhmm," Miriam hummed as she swallowed her food, eyes flicking up to Arthur who'd gone back to his own food. "So," she said after a time. "How much of this did Merlin help prepare?"

"Well, he did the -"

Arthur cut himself off when he realised what he'd said and his eyes shot up to Miriam who was unimpressed and hurt.

"So, you're a prat and a liar. I wonder what other adjectives we should add to the list?" she huffed as she stood, preparing to leave.

"Miriam!"

"What more could you possibly have to say to me, Arthur? What more could you possibly lie to me about?"

"I didn't lie!"

"Did Merlin help you make this food?" she shot back and Arthur stumbled over his words.

"Yes but -"

"I actually thought you did something kind for me. A good king should have some humility. He should treat everyone with respect, even if they are nothing but a servant because at the very least he should have enough respect not to lie to his people."

Miriam pulled herself from Arthur's grip as she turned to leave again but Arthur pulled her to face him by her shoulders, his hands cupping her face gently as he forced her to look at him.

"Miriam, listen to me for two seconds! Merlin only told me what to do, it is not as if I brought this dinner from the palace. I cooked this chicken myself but with Merlin's instruction. He was also the one who told me to leave a white orchid as an apology gift last night. He did so that you would be happy and he may have told me but I still did it myself rather than have him do it. Please tell me that that counts for something."

Miriam's breath hitched as Arthur's closeness, at the touch of his skin and the heat of his breath.

"It does count for something," she admitted eventually, eyes never once leaving his as she waited for him to speak.

"Look I know I have a lot to learn. I know that I am terrible at a few things, cooking being one of them, but also, knowing what to say to someone I care about."

Miriam's heart was doing somersaults in her chest at Arthur's revelation and she didn't know why. Why it was doing that and why Arthur would care about her out of all people.

But before Miriam could question him further or even take her next breath, Merlin burst through the door and the two of them jumped apart in their surprise.

"Arthur, there's an assassin in Camelot! He's here to kill you," Merlin informed and now Miriam's heart fell.

Arthur had soon begun pacing the room as Merlin explained what happened.

"The assassin killed a guard. Your father said Odin had sent him."

"Why would Odin want you dead?" Miriam asked, having taken a seat on the bench along with her half-eaten dinner.

"Because I killed his son."

The room was still, silent, the only movement being the flicker of the candle flames.

"Odin's son challenged me to a fight. I had no quarrel with him. I asked him to withdraw. Perhaps he felt he had to prove himself. I still see his face. He looked so scared," Arthur explained sorrowfully and anyone could tell that his guilt was genuine.

"You are not to blame for that," Miriam assured him and Arthur dropped his head, refusing to let the candles light up the glassiness of his eyes.

"No one, but us and Gwen, knows where you are," Merlin pointed out. "If the assassin can't find you he can't kill you."

"Am I allowed to continue staying here?" Arthur asked, eyes clear as he lifted his head up.

"Gwen said for as long as you need," Merlin answered.

"Will you stay with me?" Arthur asked Miriam, surprising Merlin slightly.

Even more so when his sister nodded her head and answered, "As long as you need me to."

Arthur seemed a little more relieved at the prospect of not being alone as he said, "You take the bed. I'll sleep on the floor."

"With an assassin on the loose and the final joust tomorrow, you need the bed more," Miriam stated.

"Nonsense. I will not hear of it anymore," Arthur said as he turned and made for the bedroll.

"Arthur, stop," Miriam ordered and the prince complied. "Merlin and I will go and get you a mattress because I would hate to see what lie you come up with when it appears out of thin air during the night and my poor brother can no longer stand straight."

Even though it was meant as a jibe, Arthur saw the humour in her eyes that was soon followed by a smirk that Arthur mirrored.

A smirk that turned into a smile at the thought of Miriam.