Chapter 66

How things had changed in the last year since Morgana's defeat.

For one, it was peaceful, so very peaceful.

For another, Arthur was essentially king, acting as regent whilst his father remained broken after his daughter's betrayal. 

Moreover, Arthur had taken to having Miriam accompany him to more and more royal events, banquets and balls and even the odd council meeting. The knights already welcomed her, but the nobles were still being won over. As well as Arthur's uncle, Agravaine, Ygraine's brother, who'd become an advisor to the prince.

The minute she met him, she immediately distrusted him. She had a bad feeling about him.

This feeling wasn't as strong as the one she got around Morgana, so for now they gave him the benefit of the doubt, despite how Miriam's heart shrieked at her not to.

Though in happier news, Gwen had wedded Lancelot. And their wedding, courtesy of Arthur, had been a lavish affair. Though Arthur learned something that surprised him greatly.

Miriam didn't know how to dance.

Why would she, when she grew up on a farm and arrived at Camelot to be a healer?

So, he'd absolutely taken the opportunity to teach her, an excuse to spend time with her and take a break from his duties. Many a time the lessons ended with her in a dip as their lips pressed together.

Morgana on the other hand had travelled to the Isle of the Blessed along with a sickened and weakened Morgause. And using her sister as a blood sacrifice, Morgana had broken the veil between worlds.

The Cailleach, however, the guardian of the spirit realm, had warned the witch. While Emrys was proclaimed to be her destiny and her doom, someone named Emerie was proclaimed to be her envy, everything Morgana wanted to be but never would be.

The Dorocha, the spirits released from the realm, were ruthless, vicious beasts. They froze their victims, wiping out entire villages within a single night and instilling fear like no other in those left behind.

After a single night of this madness, Arthur already had a plan to heal the veil and stop the Dorocha.

"You are a stupid prat, you know that?" Miriam yelled as she burst into the council room.

"Leave us," Arthur ordered his knights and uncle who began filing out of the room.

"Of all the stupid and idiotic plans you've had, Arthur Pendragon, this one puts them all to shame!" she shouted, angry tears falling down her face despite how she didn't want them to.

"Miriam, please understand -"

"What more is there to understand about you dying?!"

Arthur sighed heavily as he approached her.

"When we were together with Anhora to take the test to free the kingdom from the unicorn's curse you said that if others lived while you died then you were more than fine with it."

"Don't throw my words back at me to make a good point when I'm trying to be mad at you," she said sadly as his hands rested on her shoulders as he tried not to smile.

"I need you to stay here. I need you to take care of my kingdom for me. Here," he said as he pressed his ring into her hand. "If anything happens to me, you are to assume the throne."

Her mouth floundered.

"But Arthur -"

"No buts. You are the best person for this. You know the people and you know how the kingdom works. And your heart is good. No one, not even my uncle could fill the position as well as you can."