Chapter 76

Miriam sat with Arthur at his dining table. Seeing as her brother was still recovering, she'd taken it upon herself to get Arthur lunch, and she'd also delivered some to most of the knights of the round table. Most, because when Arthur asked her to dine with him she set Gwaine's portion in front of her to eat, the couple laughing as they talked and dined on chicken, bread rolls and salad.

And then Merlin walked in.

"Oh, I might have known," he scowled as he watched Arthur pour water into two goblets.

"Hello, Merlin," he smiled as he passed one to Miriam.

"What's this?" Merlin questioned, almost as if glaring at the food and then his sister.

"Uh, lunch," Arthur answered, quite confused as Miriam sipped from her goblet, their hands connected underneath the table.

"Look, I know you like to take every opportunity to be by his side, but this is just getting ridiculous. You'll be pouring his bathwater next," Merlin said to her and Miriam furrowed her brows at him.

"Merlin, is something wrong?" Arthur asked, also very confused as to his behaviour.

"This is what's wrong," he answered, pointing at the food.

"You were held captive by bandits, I figured you needed some rest and would enjoy the time off. I know what a pain Arthur can be."

"Hey!" the king exclaimed, but Miriam waved him off.

"Relax, I still love you."

"Rest? No, I don't need rest. Do you know how long it took me to prepare this meal? I cooked it myself," Merlin explained as he took Arthur's half-eaten plate and placed the full one in front of him.

"I think this is just a case of a simple misunderstanding," Arthur reasoned as he switched the plates back, but Merlin refused to take it.

"Ah, yes, of course, you'd take her side, wouldn't you?"

"Excuse me?" Arthur questioned. "Merlin, I think you must be tired. You've been through quite an ordeal."

"I just want to resume my normal duties."

"Well, I'll be pleased to have your assistance preparing for the knighting ceremony later," Arthur said, handling the situation rather calmly as he handed Merlin the plate of uneaten food.

"Thank you, sire," Merlin said with a tight smile as he left the room and a bad feeling began stirring inside Miriam.

"I'm going to go check on him. He doesn't seem alright," Miriam said as she prepared to stand but Arthur tugged her back down.

"I agree, but he seems well enough to survive on his own while we finish having a meal together. I rarely get you to myself these days."

Miriam rolled her eyes.

"You still see me every day. I train with you after all, be it weapons or dancing. Speaking of which, what is it today?" she asked as she lifted a forkful of food into her mouth.

"Depends how I feel. And seeing as there's a traitor in our midst and we have no leads and yet I'm still expected to go to a knighting ceremony, it could go either way."

Miriam's eyes narrowed as she scrutinized him, lifting her goblet to her lips.

"I think you could do with a dance. If the day goes well, then you can spend it with me and add to that joy. And if it goes poorly then you can spend it with me and change that. A win-win situation."

Arthur's smile was loving as he looked at her with pure adoration.

"I can find no fault with your flawless logic. It seems I will have to forego my sword and armour in favour of my dancing outfit."