Chapter 14

Nimueh was dead.

Nimueh was dead, Gaius was alive, and the balance of nature was restored.

Especially after Merlin almost had a heart attack when he discovered that Gaius had journeyed to the Isle of the Blessed to give up his own life to save Merlin's and Miriam's.

Arthur, however, was amazed when he'd returned to his chambers after going for a small walk to help stretch his aching body after days of sleep and no movement, to find the boils having disappeared from Miriam's body and her fever had broken.

Carefully easing himself onto the bed, Arthur studied her carefully as her eyes began to flutter open, blue irises bright.

"Arthur?" she mumbled, confused about where she was.

"See, now do I have a bone to pick with you," he began and Miriam rolled onto her side to face him, well aware that she was sleeping in the prince's bed, even if it was the most comfortable bed she'd ever slept in.

"What are you talking about?" she asked, voice still raspy.

"You said that you'd be there when I woke up. Well, I woke up and not only were you not there but I have to find out from Merlin that you were dying. So what do you have to say for yourself?"

The apprentice only placed a hand to her forehead.

"How did I end up in your bed? I remember making it to Gaius' door and the sound of Merlin's voice but not much after that."

Arthur seemed to be a little hurt before he spoke.

"I had some of the knights carry you up here, to make you more comfortable until you were healed and until Merlin came back."

Her eyes grew worried.

"Merlin? Where did Merlin go?" she asked as she moved to sit up but Arthur eased her back down.

"Relax. Merlin will be back soon. He went to try and find a cure for whatever ailment you had, but clearly, that's not needed anymore."

Miriam smirked.

"I showed you how strong my heart is, didn't I?"

Arthur's cheeks were filled with blush.

"I thought you didn't remember anything?" he said and she chuckled.

"I said I didn't remember much else but I remember you talking to me. The sound of your voice saying how good and strong my heart is. What else am I?"

"Stupid, if you think that I'm actually going to answer that question."

Her answering smile was warm as she rolled back onto her back and stretched her hand out to lace it with his, making Arthur's breath hitch.

"Thank you, Arthur."

"The least I could do for you after you helped me," Arthur returned before their moment was shattered by the opening of his door and they pulled their hands away from one another.

"Mira!" Merlin exclaimed as he ran over to his sister to see her clear of boils and a smile on her face.

"Merlin!"

Merlin helped ease her up before wrapping her into a hug.

"You're ok," he sighed in relief as he cupped her face, checking her over.

"A bit sore, but yes."

"You're ok," Merlin repeated before hugging her again and pressing a kiss to her temple. "How long have you been awake?"

"Barely ten minutes," Arthur answered and Merlin looked up to him.

"Thank you for keeping her safe and caring for her."

"About time you got back. I've been dying for a hot bath. Not to mention I have laundry that needs to be done and a room that needs cleaning. And I think your sister would like some food also, so what are you waiting for?"

Merlin just stared at Arthur in disbelief.

"I'll get right to it, Sire."

And with one last kiss to Miriam's cheek, Merlin left the room.

"He is still my brother. You could be a little nicer to him."

"Don't push it. I thought we weren't friends."

Miriam only raised her brow.

"So then who said, 'I'd like to think we are friends, especially after we both almost died,'?"

Arthur went pink once more.

"I don't know what you are talking about."

"Sure you don't," Miriam laughed.

And as her head lay back on Arthur's pillow and her eyes drifted shut, she didn't realise that the silky feeling on the ends of her fingertips wasn't Arthur's soft sheets but rather the ends of his own fingers as he gazed down at her.