Chapter 118

Raw.

Miriam's throat was raw as she screamed, the sound ringing in her ears.

Mordred's eyes lifted to her as he withdrew his blade from Arthur's stomach and the king crumpled to the ground, still conscious as he pressed a hand to his wound.

The water that leaked from the queen's eyes cleared a trail down the grime and blood that covered her face, and she dropped her sword.

Mordred looked a little regretful, remorseful as she advanced on him, but he still readied his sword as he allowed anger to overcome him.

He swung his blade, but Miriam caught it in her bare fist, the metal ringing out.

Mordred's anger was replaced with fear as the queen spoke through gritted teeth, lowering the sword as she squeezed, but no matter how hard she squeezed, no blood ran.

"I am Miriam Pendragon. I am Emerie. I am the Queen of Camelot and the last Dragonlordess. Did you really think that you could kill me with a blade forged in a dragon's breath?" she asked as the veins in her neck tensed with rage. And as she spoke, her eyes glowed, but not gold like that of a sorcerer, rather an angry red, like that of dragon's fire.

Mordred tried to push back but the fire in her eyes seemed to grow brighter as she pushed his sword down.

"This is for my husband."

And in one swift motion, she pulled the blade from Mordred's grip, turning it around so the hilt fit into her palm as she thrust it into Mordred's chest, twisting it as it pierced his heart.

And she felt absolutely nothing as she watched his body fall to the floor, sword still impaled in him.

It was only when she heard Arthur groan did her trance seem to break.

"Arthur? Arthur!" she yelled as she crashed to his side, ripping a piece of the tunic she wore under her armour to press to his wound. "Try and stay awake, ok?"

"You - You are so beautiful," he panted as he raised a gloved hand to her face.

"Stop talking. Save your strength. I've - I've healed much worse wounds on you," she tried to joke, even though she knew it wasn't true. Even though she knew the magic of Mordred's blade was fatal.

"I love you. I -so much. I love you."

She was a mess now, not just emotionally as his blood stained her hands, the cloth she was using doing little to staunch the blood flow.

"I love you. Always. In this life and the next. Please don't leave me, Arthur," she wailed.

He managed to find the strength to pull a cord from around his neck and press it into her hands.

"Always. I will...always, be with you. I love you."

Her bottom lip trembled, mouth hanging agape as she squeezed the Pendragon seal in her hand.

"You own my heart, Arthur Pendragon. I will see you in the next life. I love you with everything I am."

She lowered her lips to his, her whole body shaking because no prayer, and likely no amount of magic could stop this from being their last kiss.

Miriam still felt his pulse as his eyes closed and she sobbed over his body.

"Mira!"

"Merlin," she whispered, as she looked up to see her aged brother walking towards her, abandoning his staff as he knelt at Arthur's side. "Can you - can you save him?" she asked, wiping her face and smearing the blood and dirt across her cheeks.

"I have to get him out of here. I will take good care of him, I promise."

Miriam hugged her brother, because, for some reason, it felt as if their time was up as well.

"I know you will. I love you, Myrddin Wyllt."

The sorcerer couldn't help but chuckle at the use of his full name.

"I love you too, Mira."

And as Miriam watched her brother carry her husband from Camlann, she just stood.

There were no more tears that fell nor sobs that escaped her lips as she stood and watched as they became nothing more but a spec in the distance.

That was how she was found by Sir Leon as he placed a gentle arm around her and escorted her back to the tents.

The battle was won, but Arthur may still have been lost.