Chapter 98

"You do realise that the last patrol you led, you almost got killed by Odin?" Miriam said as she sat at the dining table signing papers.

"Ranulf was a friend. We knew each other as boys and there is no way I cannot avenge his death," Arthur replied as he set some supplies on the other end of the table and began packing them into a bag.

"Well, it's a good thing, there will also be many fine knights to accompany you. And while you all may not be the smartest beings in the realm, you are certainly the bravest."

"Hey!" Arthur exclaimed as his wife just laughed at him before a knock sounded on their door.

"Yes?" Arthur called as Mordred entered.

"You wished to see me, sire?"

"Ah, Mordred. Come in, come in," Arthur invited, Mordred bowing his head to the queen who smiled at him in greeting.

"The time has come for you to accompany your king," Arthur announced.

"My lord?"

"He'd like for you to join him on a patrol to the white mountains," Miriam explained.

"Me?" Mordred asked in surprise as the queen set her hands on her hips.

"Unless you know of another called Sir Mordred?"

"Congratulations," Arthur added.

"This is a great honour," Mordred said almost giddily.

"You've earned your place. Be ready to ride at dawn," Arthur said with a supportive tap to his arm.

"Because my husband simply must choose ungodly hours of the day to ride off into battle," Miriam said sarcastically as she smirked at her husband who merely glared at her, Mordred watching on with an amused smile.

"I shall be ready, my lord. You won't regret this. I promise," Mordred swore before moving to leave the room.

"Mordred," Miriam called as the knight turned to her.

"Yes, my queen?"

"Do let me know if those knuckleheaded knights, my husband included, give you any trouble. I do so love the opportunity to set them straight," she grinned as Arthur gave her an offended look, causing Mordred to smile once more.

"I will, my lady," he promised before walking out and Miriam turned to her husband who changed the topic.

"He has all the makings of a great knight," he said.

"I do believe you've grown fond of him, almost the way you would a son?" she asked with a raised eyebrow and Arthur's smile was small.

"I'm not going to lie in saying that I don't want a child. You know that I do."

"And the gods will grant us one if and when they see fit," Miriam reminded him as he neared closer to her. "For now, let's just enjoy this time with the two of us."

"I can get on board with that," Arthur agreed as he lowered his lips to hers before helping her stand and walking from their room hand in hand.

******************************************************************

Miriam had asked her brother to take care of her husband and himself, but even with Merlin's great powers, there was nothing he could do to stop the Disir.

The Disir were ancient seers and worshippers of the triple goddess and had used Osgar, the sorcerer that had killed Sir Ranulf, to deliver something to Arthur.

What could be seen as a coin was actually a rune mark, a judgement and fate. And it had been given to Arthur who had no care in the world for it.

His wife on the other hand found the information frightening, for while she may not agree with all the ways of the old religion, she would never be one to ignore or dismiss it.