Chapter 10

(A/N: Thanks for 500 reads guys! XxD)

******************************************************************

It seemed like a fever dream.

Miriam wanted so bad for it to be a fever dream.

First Gwen's father had been arrested on a count of treason. He'd been spotted with a sorcerer and arrested, a fair trial promised but everyone knew that Uther would declare him guilty.

Second, he'd been killed during his attempt at escaping, leaving Gwen an orphan.

Thirdly, Morgana had been locked in the dungeons for the night after going against Uther on Gwen's behalf.

Fourthly, Merlin had followed Morgana into the woods to meet the sorcerer that had framed Gwen's father, only to learn that she was plotting against Uther.

Fifthly, was the conversation Merlin had with his sister on the steps to the castle in the middle of the night.

He'd gone to see the dragon, without Miriam much to her dismay, and was currently telling her of the choice he had to make.

If Merlin left it alone and didn't interfere, Uther would be dead and Arthur would be king, allowing his destiny to come to fruition.

If he did interfere, they'd still be stuck under Uther's tyrannous reign.

"What do you think I should do?" he asked, staring at his feet.

"Merlin, I am not going to make this decision for you."

"The very least you could do is give me some advice," he whined, and Miriam laughed as she looped her arm through his and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I trust you, big brother. I trust your heart because in these kinds of situations it's the heart that knows what's right, not the head. The head overthinks things. The heart knows what is good."

Merlin's face was a look of disbelief.

"How is it that you're younger than me and yet you can spout all this wisdom?'

Miriam laughed once more.

"You may have the power Merlin, but I have all the wisdom. And the strength."

"Hey! I'm strong," Merlin insisted and his sister raised an eyebrow despite her head not moving from its place.

"Oh yeah? Care to have a little duel and find out once and for all?"

"Ok you win," Merlin conceded and she smiled into his shoulder. "Mira, are you happy here?"

She stilled, her breathing slow.

"I am. Camelot may be dangerous, tiring and even incredibly annoying at times, but I've never felt more alive. This place gives me more than Ealdor ever could."

Merlin had to chuckle because he had to agree.

"Good. I'm glad."

Miriam then unwound herself from him as she stood.

"I'll leave you with your thoughts. I know you'll do what's right."

And with a peck to his cheek, Miriam headed to bed, unaware of the eyes of a sleepless prince on her from the window high above them.

******************************************************************

Merlin did indeed heed both his sister's advice and Guinevere's, and he did the right thing. And his efforts combined with Morgana's saved Uther's life. But it was a vain effort for what would happen on their next hunting trip.

They'd encountered a Questing Beast, a creature part snake and part leopard with the power to send a victim of its bite to a slow and painful death.

So, Uther had ordered Arthur and his knights to kill it, but they were stalled by a frightened and fitful Morgana running down the stairs and into Arthur's arms as she tried to persuade him not to go.

And as the guards began escorting her inside, Merlin was particularly surprised to see his sister walk out of the palace ready for a journey.

"And where do you think you're going?" Merlin asked and Miriam just gave him a look as if it should be obvious.

"I'm coming to help you because against that beast it sounds like you could use all the help you can get."

"Mira, you're staying here. It's too dangerous and I will not lose you."

"Of course, it won't be you losing me. It'll be the beast losing its head," she smirked before heading down to the bottom of the stairs.

"And why are you here?" Arthur asked, an eyebrow raised at the girls' attire, trousers, worn leather boots and a fitted white tunic beneath a tight maroon vest, her hair twisted into a braid that fell on her left shoulder, the same side where her sword was strapped.

"I'm going to let Merlin explain that because we're wasting time. Dangerous beast, impossible odds, for the love of Camelot etc. Now, which horse is mine?"

"Your sister is something else," Arthur remarked as he watched her speak to another knight before effortlessly mounting a horse, the knight calling for a servant to bring another.

Merlin only sighed as he approached Arthur's side.

"Tell me about it."