Chapter 25

"Arthur let me go! Unhand me!" Miriam shouted as Arthur dragged her with him, his hand gripping her arm hard but not painfully as he shushed her before opening the door to his chambers where Merlin was making his bed.

"What's going on?" Merlin asked as he spied Arthur' grip on his sister.

"You need to leave. The king has ordered your arrest," Arthur informed them.

"What?" they exclaimed in unison.

"Catrina has accused you of taking her seal," Arthur continued.

"But I didn't do it!" Merlin persisted.

"If you value your life and your head you will leave Camelot immediately."

"She-she's a troll. She's trying to set me up," Merlin stammered and Arthur only looked tired.

"We've been through this already," he said and Miriam could stay silent in her shock no longer.

"Arthur, he's telling the truth."

The prince sighed. "Not you too."

"I've seen it," she said as she recalled glimpsing the troll when Miriam and Merlin had followed Catrina one night. "Merlin is innocent. What good would come of him stealing the seal of Tregor?"

Arthur couldn't answer as someone knocked on the door.

"You need to leave Merlin," he said.

"Merlin!" Miriam whimpered, eyes tearing at the thought of being separated from her brother as she moved to hug him but Arthur held her back.

"I'll take care of her Merlin, now go!" Arthur ordered as he saw Merlin's reluctance and the knock sounded again.

"Sire?" called Sir Leon as Merlin slipped out the back door and Arthur turned to Miriam.

"You are both going to be fine, but I need you to start crying and play along. Can you do that?"

Miriam could only nod as Arthur guided her to kneel on the floor, her head down as she let the worry for her brother show on her face, tears trailing down as Leon announced he was entering the room.

"What is the meaning of this?" Arthur asked loudly as the trio of guards walked into his chambers, Leon slightly concerned at the state of Miriam.

"Forgive us, my lord, but Gaius informed us that Merlin would be here."

"Well, evidently he is not. Not even his sister knows where he is," Arthur spat as he walked over to Leon, ever the arrogant prince.

"You've questioned Miriam, my lord?" Leon asked and Arthur rolled his eyes again.

"No, Leon, she's sitting on my floor for fun and you didn't walk in during my interrogation."

"My apologies, my lord."

"Go and search the lower town again. Be certain that no other servants are hiding him away," Arthur ordered as he walked back over to Miriam, back to Leon who bowed stiffly.

"As you wish, sire."

And the second the doors closed Arthur was on his knees in front of Miriam, not liking the look of tears in her eyes.

"Are you alright?" he asked as he gently wiped her tears.

"Fine," she said shortly as she wiped her own eyes. "I'll be better once that troll gets what's coming to her," she spat venomously as she stood.

"Mira, you can't! Lest that troll frames you as well!"

She softened, arms still in Arthur's grip and their gazes locked.