Chapter 114

War was coming.

Morgana had crossed the border and taken a northern garrison as she and her army marched for Camelot.

And now the council of the round table sat in conference as they heard Sir Leon's report and debated the matter.

"A force of Saxons, your majesties," Leon began as he addressed the king and queen, both in their armour and Miriam with her war crown woven into her hair, her brother sitting on her right side this time, Gwaine a chair over from him. "They crossed the northern border last night and attacked the garrison at Stawell. "

"And they march under Morgana's command?" Miriam questioned.

"There can be no doubt about it, Milady. It was not just men we faced, but sorcery," Gwaine answered, the knight having been one of the few to escape with his life and along with a gorgeous blonde woman that he saved, asking his best friend to dress her wounds before the meeting.

"We shouldn't be surprised. She'd been massing an army for weeks," Arthur said, silencing the whispers and murmurs that had broken out amongst them. "Now with Stawell taken, she has a base at our northern border which can only mean one thing."

"She means to march on the citadel, to take Camelot," Miriam finished.

"Then she's already made her first mistake," Percival said.

"We have sufficient time to prepare our defences, sire, my queen. We can make our stand here. However great her army, the walls of Camelot will hold, the citadel will not fall," Leon assured them.

"Perhaps. Perhaps not," Arthur replied as he leaned back in his chair, grasping his queen's hand on the table. "We've already deserted Stawell, I won't forsake the people of this land while we take refuge here. And I know you won't either," he said to his wife.

"But we can protect them here, in Camelot itself," Percival reasoned.

"Some but not all, Percy. Countless will still be left behind or caught in the crossfire. People who Arthur and I, and all of you, have vowed to protect," Miriam reminded them.

"As much as I wish we could, we can't save everyone, Mira," Merlin spoke up and the king met his queen's eyes as she gave him a nod.

"There is a way," he announced. "One way alone. We ensure that she never makes it this far."

"We...ride out and meet them?" Percival clarified.

"It's the only way," Arthur said to him.

"But sire, Morgana commands an army of thousands, not to mention a dragon," Leon pointed out and Miriam stood.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Arthur asked, Merlin equally as worried.

"It's my secret to tell," was all she said as she looked upon the knights of the round table. "The knights of the original round table, along with Gaius and my brother already know of the talents I possess, now it's time you all know."

The table was eerily silent as they waited.

"You need not worry about Morgana's dragon, Aithusa, for I am the last Dragonlordess and I have the power to keep him from harming us."

Hushed whispers spread around the table once more before Arthur called for silence.

"I am the reason why the Great Dragon stopped attacking our city. I'm the reason why Aithusa didn't burn some of the people at the table to a crisp when you were kidnapped by Morgana."

"And if you all would rather fight a dragon than accept the abilities your queen has that could save your life, then, by all means, go right ahead," Merlin challenged and the table stayed silent.

"Long live the queen!" chanted Sir Leon and it was echoed by every man at the table.

And though the queen stood with a proud smile now, later she was on the verge of a panic attack at a meeting of the privy council. A meeting where Percival revealed the name of the gorge, of the land where the battle that would decide Camelot's fate would take place.

Camlann.

"Leave."

"Mira?" Arthur questioned.

"Everyone leave," she ordered, still looking at the map on the table as the privy council left, her husband with a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?"

She wasn't able to meet his eyes as she tried to keep her hands from shaking.

"Do you remember when we went to confront the Disir, and I spoke with them after Mordred was wounded?"

"Yes?" Arthur answered, rather confused at where this was going.

"I never told you what they said to me," she lied. "I was given a warning. And I-"

"Mira," Arthur said softly as he pulled her eyes to look at him. "Tell me. It's ok."

"Arthur, you die. You die at Camlann and there's nothing I can do to stop it," she said brokenly, her bright blue eyes filled with fat tears as they slid down her face.

"And you've carried that with you for so long?"

She didn't answer, she couldn't, as she pressed her face to Arthur's shoulder, his shirt becoming damp with her tears.

"Look at me. Look at me," he urged gently, holding her face as if it were glass. "My love, I don't want to leave you. You know I don't. But you and I would both give our lives to save the people of this kingdom. You were ready to give your life for the people of Ealdor. And if I'm destined to die in this battle, then I will go gladly if it means you and this kingdom are safe."

Her bottom lip trembled, her voice coming out a whisper because it would be broken by the lump in her throat.

"We should've had more time."

Arthur's heart broke as he pressed his forehead to hers, squeezing his eyes shut to prevent tears leaking down his face.

"Yes. Yes, we should've had more time," he cried, as his hands moved to push her hair behind her ears. "But I will wait for you in the next life as I know you will wait for me."

Miriam's grip on his forearms was iron tight.

"I love you. I love you with my whole heart."

Arthur didn't hesitate.

"I love you! I love you, Miriam Pendragon, with everything that I am."

Their hug lasted a few more minutes, the two of them just enveloping themselves in the embrace of the other before Arthur broke the silence.

"As much as I want you to stay here and stay safe, I doubt I'll be able to convince you that a battlefield is no place for a queen," he said and Miriam couldn't help but laugh against his shoulder.

"If my king is to be fighting on that battlefield, then there is no other place I would rather be."

Oh, how they would love nothing more than to stay frozen in this moment for all time, but they had a war to win.