Chapter 91

"Arthur! Darling, are you – what's going on here?" Miriam asked, slightly confused as she walked into their room to find Arthur without any trousers and her brother with a belt in his hand that he promptly hid behind his back.

"Nothing! Nothing at all. There's absolutely nothing to be suspicious about," Merlin rambled, and Arthur only glared at him.

"Ok? Well, the guests are all here and they're being seated, so it's almost time for us to enter, are you almost ready or should I tell them you need another minute?" she teased as she glanced down to his bare legs.

"He'll be ready," Merlin promised while Arthur was transfixed on his wife's attire.

She wore a gorgeous ivory ballgown with silver trimmings and a band of jewels that fell across her brow, serving as her crown, a single teardrop pearl hanging just above the centre of her brows, matching pearls on her ears.

"You're beautiful," he complimented, and her cheeks tinged pink as she smiled.

"I could say the same about you, if you were wearing pants."

Arthur gave her a look as she hid her giggled behind her hand, Merlin also trying to stop the laughter from spilling out from behind his smile.

"Come on! Come on! We're going to be late," Miriam ushered them as Merlin stuffed the belt into Arthur's hands and pushed him behind the screen, his sister giving him a strange look but just choosing to ignore them as she waited.

******************************************************************

They were, indeed, a few minutes late to the feast, but at least Arthur had pants on now.

"Presenting, his Royal Highness, King Arthur Pendragon and her Royal Highness, Queen Miriam Pendragon. And brother to the queen, the lord Merlin Wyllt."

And the doors opened as music sounded and the royal couple walked through, Merlin behind them, dressed in his royal robes.

Applause sounded as they smiled, Arthur holding Miriam's hand high in the air as they made their way to the head of the table and the thrones that awaited them.

"Have you seen Agravaine?" Arthur asked Gaius who was to be seated with them along with the knights and other members of the castle.

"Uh, no sire. Not since this morning," Gaius answered as the royals sat, everyone else following suit.

"Strange. He should've been here by now," Arthur admitted, giving his wife a worried look, but they couldn't very well deal with it now with the feast of Beltane to tend to.

And Miriam was easily distracted as Percival was seated on her other side, the two engaging in easy conversation.

"Ah, my favourite – herb-crusted capon," Arthur exclaimed as a server brought out the dish.

"Easy now. We don't want any more holes in that belt," Merlin joked from Arthur's other side and Miriam and Percival choked on their respective drinks and food.

Arthur gave an awkward chuckle before grabbing Merlin's robes, pulling him towards him with a fit of subtle anger.

"It's a good job you don't have anything of any actual importance to keep secret, isn't it?" Arthur noted before shoving Merlin back into his chair, the boy slightly spooked.

Miriam smacked his shoulder.

"Arthur, calm down. It's supposed to be a joyous occasion, remember?" his wife reprimanded, and a smile glittered his face.

"Forgive me, my queen," he apologised as he kissed her hand before raising his goblet of wine into the air. "To Camelot and her gorgeous queen," he toasted, making the woman blush as everyone raised their glasses and he pressed a kiss to her cheek as they continued eating.