Chapter 96

But even their home was a place of problems.

After knighting Mordred and inducting him into the knights of the round table, Merlin told her about all that had happened between them before and during her time in Camelot before asking what kind of a feeling she got from him.

Mordred was something else for the feeling she got from him was neither good nor bad. He as like the perfect culmination of both feelings and he was the first person she'd ever met whom she couldn't get a feeling of. And that in itself they didn't know if it was good or bad.

Meanwhile, Arthur had recovered something thought lost during the Great Purge, the Horn of Cathbhadh, a horn with the ability to summon the spirits of the dead.

Oh, how they made Miriam angry.

It had been the celebration of Arthur's coronation, and she knew that he normally got a little depressed during that time as it was also the anniversary of Uther's death, but this year was a celebration unlike any other.

Arthur, along with his servant, had disappeared during the feast, Merlin leaving her a note saying that they'd merely gone on a hunt to distract their king from his troubles, meanwhile, they were doing something far worse.

Taking the horn, Arthur had summoned his father's spirit, hoping to finally get in his final words but Uther barely let him speak. Uther had called his only son a failure. Had said that Arthur destroyed his kingdom, he allowed commoners to be knights, he married an apprentice who deals with dragons, who is essentially a sorcerer.

And when they returned with a few rabbits as proof of their hunting endeavour, they told Miriam nothing of it. And she believed them, she gave them the benefit of the doubt, especially because of what day it was to Arthur, but then strange things began happening.

The doors to the council of the round table burst open with nothing but wind and then the candelabra that hung from the ceiling fell onto the table, cracking it.

And then came the strange attack from a seemingly invisible attacker that left Miriam unconscious and locked in the storeroom that was set on fire.

If she hadn't screamed for her brother, it's likely that Uther would've gotten his wish and she would've died.

They'd laid her to sleep in Merlin's bed in Gaius' chambers, so as to not worry the others as no one else knew what Arthur had done.

But in their quest to send Uther back to the other world, Merlin had no choice but to reveal his magic to the fallen king. He finally had a chance to say everything he wanted to, to point out that there had always been magic in Camelot even when Uther was king, and Uther had placed Merlin at his son's side. Not that it made any difference. Uther was a man ruled by pride and hatred, he'd never admit he was wrong, nor would he ever accept magic, especially if he couldn't accept the wife Arthur married or the men he made knights.

Arthur was eventually forced to send his father back to the other world, and then had to explain what happened to his wife when she finally woke up.

She couldn't blame him for wanting to say goodbye, she was just angry that he hadn't told her what he was doing so she could've helped him do it safely.

And she was even angrier at her brother who helped her husband lie to her.

But when princess Mithian appeared one night on the palace steps before collapsing in exhaustion, her only company being an old woman she claimed to be her servant, Miriam was even more upset.

For one, she had a monumentally bad feeling about the servant, Hilda, she called herself.

"They came at night, without warning. We were unprepared. We could not hold them," Mithian explained after Merlin helped ease her into a chair opposite the king and queen.