Chapter 2 : First whisper

That night at the dorm, in the room he shared with Yoongi, Jin sat on his bed and took out the doll. He observed it in more detail, realizing with satisfaction that the dominant color was pink, a color he particularly liked. Was that why it immediately gave him a smile? Well, apart from its face being so strange.

"Wow, what a horrible doll," Yoongi commented as he entered the room.

"Hey, don't make fun of my gift," Seokjin replied, hugging his doll like a child and sticking his tongue out at the rapper.

"But look at its face! It's scary... I hope you're not planning to display it in the room, or I go to have nightmares every night."

"It will never prevent you from sleeping, you know that!" Seokjin laughed.

"Good point. Hyung, you can take whatever you want from the gifts I received and get rid of this doll," Yoongi said, gesturing at the small pile of packages that was piling up on his desk. 

He always made this proposal to Seokjin because the oldest always seemed sad when he came back from the meeting sessions with the fans, but the singer always refused.

He received few gifts but appreciated each of them for their emotional value and he kept them visible, displayed on his shelf to remember each face that had smiled at him when they gave him their gift. Until now, none had seemed so unworthy of this exposure to Yoongi's eyes as this ugly doll.

"No thanks, I'm satisfied with my present," Seokjin declined, unsurprisingly.

His friend shrugged and walked to the part of the room reserved for him, which was separated from Seokjin's by a large white shelf guaranteeing them both the privacy they appreciated.

Because of their respective characters which matched perfectly, the two boys had quite naturally chosen to be roommates when the rooms were allocated in the new dorm, larger than the previous one where all the members slept in the same room. Seokjin and Yoongi were two introverts, one rather wild and quiet, the other rather sociable and talkative, hiding his fears behind a steady stream of talk and jokes.

Yoongi spoke little but Seokjin was probably the one he talked to the most, especially in the privacy of their bedroom. The other members admired Seokjin for being able to form such a special relationship with the second oldest of the group in such a short time. Seokjin, who didn't have to force himself in the least, liked Yoongi as much as the other liked him.

Their silence was never heavy, and this room was known to be the most restful of all those in the dorm, which is why the youngest – the maknae – Jungkook, spent a lot of time there, sometimes slipping into the bed of the oldest. However, he would never have dared to climb into Yoongi's, because the wild rapper was known for his love of sleep but also for being a light sleeper. Thus, anyone who had the misfortune to prevent him from sleeping had to prepare to face his anger.

When he went to bed that night, Seokjin continued to observe his doll between his fingers. He says louder to Yoongi:

"I should give it a name, right?"

"Call it Chucky," growled the other, from the other side of the shelf, referring to the horrific bloodthirsty murder doll from the movie and which had traumatized for life thousands of children now adults.

Seokjin guessed that Yoongi's eyes were already closed and he wanted nothing more than to sleep right now. He chuckled and said:

"If it helps me sleep tonight, I'll call it Yoongichi"

Yoongi let out a loud snort, informing Seokjin that he wouldn't respond to the provocation, and he wouldn't respond to him again at all.

Seokjin smiled. He was a little jealous of the youger's ability to fall asleep quickly, no matter the worries that tormented him. For him, the night was sacred and every minute of sleep counted. He knew that when he woke up, his problems would still be there, and that a bad night would not solve them nor would help him to better face them the next day.

Looking at the doll, Seokjin knew what he was going to say to it. However, he was embarrassed that Yoongi could hear him talking on the piece of cloth which, by the way, didn't even have ears, so he confided in the object in an inaudible whisper:

"Worries keep me awake, they eat away at me until the middle of the night despite my fatigue, and my fatigue causes me even more hassle during the day. And even when I fall asleep, I have terrible nightmares... I wish I could sleep peacefully like Yoongi and for whole nights." He thought for a bit before whispered his whish: "Please, little doll, help me fall asleep, free me from my sleepless night."

He stared at the doll for a moment, half expecting to see it move or just maybe wink at him.

"What did I expect, magic doesn't exist," he said loudly.

Another loud snore from Yoongi told him that he had better shut up immediately if he didn't want to be struck by the Yoongitic lightning bolt.

Seokjin hurriedly tucked the doll under his pillow, laid his head on it and wait for the darkness to take hold of him.

________________

Author's note : Do any of you not know who Chucky is? This doll traumatized me when I was a child like all children born in the 1990s XD