Chapter 21 : Sacrifice

"I don't know if I'll be able to sleep," Seokjin said, changing position under his blanket.

"Yes, you will succeed," Jungkook reassured him, stroking his head to soothe him, the same way the oldest had done for him two nights earlier.

Yoongi had given Seokjin one of the anxiolytics that he had tried to take as a remedy for his insomnia without success since the cause of his illness was supernatural. However, on Seokjin, it seemed to calm him down as he was less agitated than when he had gone upstairs.

"You didn't whisper anything to your doll, that means you won't see the girl in your dream tonight, so don't worry," Jungkook reminded him while suppressing a yawn.

Jungkook was tired but he decided to force himself to stay awake until Seokjin fell asleep next to him, to let him know that he was safe. However, he didn't know that Seokjin felt empty without his doll. Knowing that it was not under his pillow or within reach did not make him feel good, contrary to what the maknae and the others might believe, despite what it had done to him earlier.

"Maybe it would be better for her to be with me instead of Namjoon?" Seokjin tried.

"Of course not, it has to be the furthest away from you," Jungkook refused.

Seokjin resigned himself and closed his eyes to try to find sleep without his doll to ease the worries it itself had caused. After a few hours, Jungkook was relieved to see that Seokjin had finally fallen asleep and he finally let himself go to sleep too...

The twilight light surrounding him when he opened his eyes made Seokjin shudder.

"N-no, I can't be here..." Seokjin stammered, "I didn't whisper tonight..."

"Seokjin, my sweet Seokjin, you have come back to me!" a cheerful voice crooned grabbing his chin with a gentle hand to force him to look at her while he was curled up against her in a now familiar position between them, his head in her lap.

Except Seokjin didn't remember putting himself in that position. Actually, he hadn't climbed a ladder this time. He hadn't had to do anything to find himself in Yoongichi's arms and he was terrified because of what he knew now. He quickly got up and walked away from her backwards.

"Oh that's knew! Are you're afraid of me now?" Yoongichi asked him with a half smile.

"O-of course I'm scared, I know what you did to the others!"

"What did I do to them?" the girl asked in an innocent voice, "I only helped you, you know that well."

"You didn't help me for free, you made them bear my burdens, you made them unhappy in my place! " he said to her, feeling the anger rising within him.

"I made them carry your burdens?" she repeated mockingly, emphasizing the "I". "You're the one who agreed to do it. You were so happy to get rid of those burden of yours that you didn't even ask yourself any questions! Yet, every ball and chain you attached to them were indeed your burdens Seokjin, not mine: yours. And every morning you woke up forgetting what you had done so you wouldn't have to feel the weight of your guilt. You are responsible for what I did to them. We did it together."

Yoongichi burst out laughing and for the first time, Seokjin didn't find his laughter pleasant at all. On the contrary, it made his blood run cold. She had just confirmed what he already knew, that he had harmed those he was supposed to protect.

"I-I don't ever want to do that again." I never want to use you again!"

"You don't mean what you say, I know the bottom of your heart better than your own mother, Seokjin," the girl replied, "because you entrusted me with what you never entrusted to anyone: your heart."