Chapter Twenty

Do what your heart says! Always!

"Welcome Back Manik Sir!" The staff cheered aloud welcoming back Manik Malhotra in VirginStream. Everyone seemed happy about his return except one person. And he was none other than Shrey Dixit. His facial features underwent a change as soon as he heard Manik's name. His jaws clenched, brows formed a deep V while he banged his fist against the office desk.

"You don't look happy Mr Shrey with my return. Is there any problem?" Manik furrowed his brows as he neared Shrey.

"Why do you think so Mr Malhotra?" Shrey narrowed his eyes at Manik.

"Just heard a noise of someone banging the desk." Manik smirked.

"You are overhearing things!" Shrey stated tartly.

Nandini who was busy on phone until now, heard their banter and half heartedly decided to intervene.

"Welcome back Mr Manik Malhotra. Shrey is really delighted to work with you once again." Nandini half smiled earning a frown from Shrey.

"Glad to hear that Miss Murthy." Manik cleared his throat, "Seems like you both are still together."

"Of course we are very much together. No external force can pull us apart." Shrey emphasized throwing a hand over Nandini's shoulder pulling her closer to him.

"Well this is an office so you two need to follow some etiquette." Manik inhaled a sharp breath and walked past them glancing back at Nandini who moved away from Shrey citing about privacy concerns. Somehow this brought a smile on Manik's sulken face but he was quick enough to hide that from anyone.

~•~•~•~•~•~

A message tone beeped as Nandini was having coffee in the office canteen while talking to Riya. She picked up her phone, read the message, then rolling her eyes she placed the phone on the table. She had been receiving the same message since a few weeks she had returned from her vacation in the mountains. But till date, she hadn't replied to the messages. She didn't know the answer herself. One could say she was confused. Her past that had been tormenting her all these years didn't give her the courage to reply the text of Mahima. But Nandini had been a pure soul in and out. Moreover, her kind and humane nature didn't comply with the dictates of her brain.

"What happened? Is something wrong?" Riya questioned seeing Nandini's discomfort.

"Um nothing! It's just that Manik's return worries me a little." Nandini sighed but felt guilty for lying to her best friend. Though it wasn't a whole lie to cover up her present dilemma. Somewhere she was still perturbed about his erratic behaviour and how she would face him everyday.

"I know it's a little difficult but you've moved on. And I'm pretty sure you are strong enough to deal with any kind of problem he creates for you." Riya squeezed Nandini's fingers in assurance.

"Yeah. You're right. I'm much stronger than what I was." Nandini smiled with a new grown confidence.

"And you've Shrey's back"

Nandini's face turned pale for a second. She knew from heart what an understanding boyfriend she had. But Shrey's chance encounter with Manik had soured their relationship to some extent. She hadn't talked about Manik in front of him but somehow the insecurity surrounding Manik seemed evident and that did get exemplified in today's morning occurrence.

"Earth to Nandini!" Riya shaked her her hands before Nandini.

"Sorry I zoned out."

"Nandini Manik sir has called for a meeting. He asked for you too." Someone informed.