Chapter Two

Thank you to each one of you for the love showered on the prologue and the first chapter. This story is my first attempt in writing dark stories that too in third person narration. Hope I become successful in my attempt.

Here goes the second chapter. Flashback and the character's thoughts are italicized.

Inline comments please

Life can turn into a mess but sometimes it does provide an anchor to the sinking ship.

"Please Stop! Please!"

With a wild scream Nandini woke up from her not so sound sleep. Images of that night haunted her till now. The storm had subsided and looking at the wall clock that showed 12 pm she got up from the floor rushing to the bathroom. Weeping her heart out she had slept for three hours right on the floor. The tears had dried up but what about the wounds that had been tearing her heart since that day?

She looked at her reflection in the mirror and found her eyes turned red and puffy. Splashing some cold water she patted dry her face with a soft towel. Her face devoid of any colours, looked lifeless. Her heart did beat but the music in them died long ago.

"Don't challenge me Nandini! You'll lose!"

"I've a record in eating Panipuris Riya, you'll lose!"

"Fine then let's do it!"

"Yes why not!"

"Bhaiya give us some panipuris!"

"Make it spicy!"

And then started Nandini and Riya's race for winning the panipuri competition. Riya and Nandini were childhood friends and whenever they would visit their local market they would try some street food.

Ten minutes later Nandini ate no less than forty while Riya choked in between thereby losing the competition. She literally craved for water, her eyes pouring buckets of salt water.

"Told you, now see!" Nandini laughed out loud making all heads turn towards her. Aware of the onlookers, her laughter reduced to continuous giggles.

"I was about to win!" Riya spoke gulping down the whole bottle of water.

"But you didn't!" Nandini smirked.

"I'm not gonna spare you!"

"Catch me first!"

And then began the Tom and Jerry chase between the two best friends who literally knocked down a plump woman, the most annoying one, a back biter in Rajgiri village, Kullu.

"Behave like a girl and stop jumping like a monkey!" The woman yelled at them and muttered a few curses under her breath which was indigestible to Riya.

She told Nandini about the prank she thought that obviously Nandini disapprove of given her good nature. Ignoring Nandini, Riya pushed the woman and she fell down, her face splashed with muddy water from the afternoon showers.

"You daughter of a bitch, how dare you?" The woman shrieked.

"Aunty first learn to give respect to others then you'll earn some respect for yourself!" Nandini interfered. She couldn't hear a word against her friend.

"By the way your face looks beautiful with all that mud!" Nandini winked and then both the friends spun on their heels laughing out loud at the back stabber.

"Well done Riya and Nandini!" Another woman praised them as everyone were annoyed with the woman's back biting nature.

A bystander asked about Nandini and an elderly man replied "She's the light of Rajgiri!"