Chapter Nine

After school we all decided to go to a cafe and talk, which we somehow got onto the subject of the murders while there.

"So, do we have any ideas on who the killer might be? Like with the old Sidney Prescott cases, everybody's a suspect."

Liam spoke quietly, Ava just rolled her eyes and sipped her latte.

"Not really, but if I had to give suspicion to someone that have a decent chance to possibly be a killer. It's you, Liam. You're the one that knows the most about the killers and cases in general."

Liam just scoffed at Lucy, until his face brightened. He started to rant about how he could tell us everything that'd be a red flag leading to the killer.

"So first off, unknown number calls, asking about 'scary movies', duh. He normally sounds similar to this raspy, impatient and breathy voice. Like this:"

Liam then began to do an impression of the killer. After a while of thinking, it clicked. The man that had called me, he asked about scary movies, he had no real reaction to the murders, he knew.

"I'm so stupid.. You guys gave me so many signals about the situation and I still didn't pick it up,  I.."

They all looked at me in concern, Liam raised an eyebrow as everyone stared at me.

"I'm pretty sure that I've been talking with the killer.."

Ava, who hadn't looked up from her latte or phone, looked at me with her eyes broadened.

"Y..You serious, Y/N??"

Elijah had an astonished look on his face, glancing around ever so often. Ava, Carly, and Lucy had pure shock on their faces while Liam stared at me in confusion and weariness.

"Mhm.. On Saturday, after I had woken up and stopped reading your messages I had gotten called by a random number. At first he didn't talk, it was just breathing on the other end. Then he called again, and that time he had asked me what number I was, and when I was going to hang up after a few seconds of talking he said to talk with him more. I stupidly asked what we would talk about, and then he asked if I liked scary movies. We continued to talk, and I don't know why but I didn't think anything of it. Then on Tuesday he called again and I told him about what happened, and he had no reaction, but the way I was upset about it made his voice sound..sort of sympathetic. He told me about that Brent Lawson guy and how he coquetted at younger women, and said stuff like I would never know how horrible a person could be.. I'm sorry I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner!!"

Before they could start to comfort me, I cut them all off.

"The only thing I'm weirded out by is the voice thing, he doesn't sound like that. His voice isn't as raspy or breathy and he sounds different, like a whole different person."

I almost started to freak out, if that guy was actually the killer then I would've wasted so much time.

"Y/N. If that guy calls you again, tell us immediately. We'll call the cops and get them to track down his side of the line. It's going to be fine. We'll help as much as possible."

Elijah was oddly comforting, trying to smile at me as he patted my shoulder. Carly decided to drive me and Lucy home, while Elijah and Liam walked and Ava was driven home by her driver.

613 words.

(A/N: Probably one of the shortest chapters? I'm not sure.)