Chapter Seventeen

The next morning I woke up to a couple missed texts from the group-chat, making me smile at the fact that everyone had been texting. As I was about to unlock my phone I heard my door open and my mother was standing there with a smile on her face, she was wearing the types of fancy clothes she would wear to work.

"Mom?"

She seemed as if she snapped back to reality, her expression changing to a neutrally calm instead of-enthusiastically calm.

"Y/N, your father and I have to go on a business trip. Make sure that every morning and night you check the entire house and if anything's unlocked make sure to lock it then check the house again, and make sure that you be careful every single place you go. No exceptions."

My eyes narrowed, I wake up and she springs all this on me? Does she want me to lose my mind basically living alone for who knows how long??

"Erm... How long will you guys be gone?"

She tapped her chin for a moment, then placed her arms back by her sides.

"About a few weeks, maybe a month and a half? Depends really."

My jaw hung open, but closed shortly after once I realized there was a chance I could do whatever I felt like while alone in my house. After a few seconds of silence, my mother pulled out her phone and looked at an email or two, then put it away and looked back to me with a smile.

"At most we'll be gone until around January seventh."

Her arms softly wrapped around me, I could hear the sympathy in her voice as she held me close to her.

"I'm so sorry we can't spend Christmas with you, but this is too important to not go. You can spend the holiday with your friends, right honey?"

I stayed still, hugging her back for a moment while nodding into her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'm sure my friends and I can figure something out. If not I'll probably just watch movies all day and night since schools out for the season."

She nodded and ended our hug, kissing my forehead before smiling and going back down the stairs. I just fell backwards on my bed, looking back at the group-chat text messages. Liam mentioned a few things about the news, Ava talked about how she felt like puking because of how gross all of this had been, Lucy and Carly had their own conversation going on, and Elijah was offline. I hovered my thumb over the keyboard for a moment, before beginning to type.

Do any of you mind if we spend Christmas together? My parents are on a business trip and they won't be back until January.

It took a moment to get a reply, but after around ten seconds Ava replied.

Ava
Sure Y/N! I can set up my extra living room for all of us to hang out for Christmas there, and plus we want to make sure you're safe as much as each other.

I smiled at the replies as they appeared on the screen, everyone beginning to agree and talk about how fun it would be to spend Christmas together, the first holiday that we could actually celebrate without cops everywhere on the streets—unlike Halloween, police cars were everywhere and every street was monitored, no way anyone could be somewhere without an officer being there. I turned off my phone and shrugged, grabbing some random clothes from my closet and heading to my bathroom. After showering I got changed and headed downstairs, starting to make breakfast and then probably clean or something. I decided to just get a bowl of cereal, not bothering to make anything else. As I turned to go sit down on the couch, I bumped into a figure—Jed had broken into my house again.

I narrowed my eyes at him, and he backed up to give me space.

"Heya Doll. I know you said not to break in but your parents are gone soooo.... That basically means nobody inside your house can catch me in plain sight. Plus I just wanted to see you."

I facepalmed with my free hand, sighing before looking back up at Jed.

"Don't turn this into a hobby."

His hand rested on the back of his neck, obviously awkward. As I finally managed to push past him and put my bowl on the coffee table, he threw himself onto the couch.

"Can we watch a movie? There's tons of classic horrors, plus it'd be fun to watch a movie with you."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, nodding and walking over to the CD shelves.

"Which movie?"

He jumped to his feet and stood beside me, scaring the shelves intently. After what felt like an hour, he pointed at the Friday The 13th CD box and tilted his head towards me.

"Sure, whichever works."

He pumped his fist in the air, then pulled the CD out from the shelf and put it in, throwing himself back on the couch as it began to start. I sat down beside him and began to eat my cereal, not even focusing on the movie while Jed was staring at it as if it was his last day on earth. Eventually I finished eating and placed my bowl on the table again, which gained Jed's attention weirdly enough. He looked back to the TV again. Whenever it was obviously going to have a reveal or jump-scare he'd wrap his arm around my shoulder and shake me, narrating the entire thing. If he was going to make us hanging out a regular thing, I was going to have to get used to this dork, despite how much I wish he didn't act as if he wasn't a murderer. We stayed together pretty much the entire day, Jed leaving every few hours to get a few things done, then he'd return and act as if nothing happened. The more we hung out the more I noticed I'd enjoy his company despite what he does, he was oddly nice for a serial killer. After a long day he finally said that he was going to head off to keep working for the rest of the night, and he was noticeably smiling under his mask just from the tone of his voice.

"I'll see ya tomorrow sweets!"

He pulled me into a hug at my back door. Once we separated he pulled his mask up and revealed the bottom half of his face, where he then proceeded to kiss me and disappear immediately, the back door being closed again. I just stood there in awe, my face heating up as I stared towards the backdoor.

1170 words.

(A/N: Should I continue to write fanfictions after this story is finished? I'm kind of hoping it'll become a hobby, since I currently don't find many things fun anymore other than writing.)