Chapter 9

A/N: Hiii!! I actually managed to finish this chapter today! Yay! (at the expense of revising for my tests and finishing my homework- oops ahhaha...) but that's ok cuz this is officially a way that I relieve my stress.. anyways, hope you enjoy! ^^

Y/n's POV

"Um, y/n... does that hurt a lot? S-sorry..." The polar bear gently wraps fresh bandages over my wounds. I shake my head while examining the stitches I did last night. 

From what I could remember, the wound was showing signs of infection by the time I had finished stitching. The skin looked a lot better than what I was expecting. 

"Captain did a good job keeping the infection from spreading. You're lucky that you stumbled onto the ship of the best doctor in the New World." I don't say anything. Instead, I stare at the polar bear. 

Did polar bears always talk? Maybe animals all evolved when I was stuck in that white room. I shudder at the thought of the white room, shaking my head. A sudden wave of loneliness and nausea fills my guts. 

"Bepo?" I ask. That was the polar bear's name, from what I recall.
"Y-yes? I-I'm sorry..." The big ball of fluff seemed to diminish in size and Bepo sulked further away.

"Can I have a hug? I'm scared." Bepo stops retreating, his head cocking to the side in confusion. 
"Am I scaring you? Sorry..." I shake my head. He inches closer to me and I stand up from the bathtub rim. 

His arms wrap around my shoulders, careful not to touch my injuries. I snuggle into his orange jumpsuit, his body like a heavy blanket around me.

"You're really soft and warm." Law knocks on the door, startling Bepo a bit. The apologetic polar bear mutters something and then hoists me up onto his shoulders. I slip a little and yelp, grabbing his stumpy little ears in the process. 

"Ah! Sorry, y/n. I'm sorry... sorry..." 

"It's ok Bepo. I like it here." I pat his big furry head as we duck under the door. Law smiled as we walked through. He was wearing his spotted fur hat. 

The hallway was empty. But it was different to those brightly lit, plain white halls that I had walked so many times. This one was a lot darker, it was filled with different shades of blue and boxes, shelves, tools, pipes, so many things decorated the walls and floor. I could hear the whirring of all sorts of machines and the submarine sonar echoing throughout the whole ship. 

The place was full of life, I didn't feel lonely or exposed or scared with all these things around me. As we neared the dining hall, I began to hear several loud voices and the occasional crash of some sort of glassware. 

Somewhere deep in my heart, excitement bubbled as if a dormant volcano was waking up. We stop outside a double door. 
"Y/n, tell me if anything makes you uncomfortable, this bunch tends to be a little loud as well." 

Law knocks twice on the door and an immediate silence hushes over the people inside. I slide off Bepo's shoulders and move behind Law, grabbing onto the sleeve of his jumper. He pushes the door open.

I feel my eyes widen, not in fear, but in curiosity and surprise. A bright auburn light shines down on the people, tables, chairs, greenery. 

It was like the sun, so different from that cold white light. Plants and flowers decorated the walls and were in pots of all shapes and sizes on the floor and tables. 

A sweet, mouth-watering aroma floated in the air, reminding me of how hungry I felt. 

I quickly forgot about my stomach and stared at all the people staring at me. They were real people. I could see their skin, eyes, nose, mouth, hair. They were all different shapes and sizes, different colours and features, they were different

As if time started flowing again, an instrument began playing, followed by a band and then chatter erupted throughout the room.

"Captain! Give her a proper introduction!" Someone shouted. Law sighed and shook his head, keeping an eye on me. Seeing as I seemed fine, but didn't want to speak, Law stepped aside and everyone hushed.

"Everyone, this is y/n. She will be in this crew's care starting today. Y/n," he turned to me, "this is where your new home will be. Welcome to the Heart Pirates." 

The crew bursts into cheers and I feel the volcano erupt. Happiness fills my heart, but it doesn't reach my face. It's been years since I last smiled, the muscles in my face don't know what to do. 

Instead, I tug Law's jumper and look up at him. I stand on my tippy-toes and whisper into his ear,
"Thank you."

I sit at the table, a bowl of steaming soup and a glass of water awaiting to satiate my hunger. The smell was delicious. It reminded me of my mother's home cooking. I pick up the spoon and take a sip, flavours explode in my mouth and the warm liquid rolls down my throat, replenishing my energy instantaneously and numbing the pain of my wounds. 

Law sits adjacent to me, a plate of speckled white rice with a dark green sheet wrapped around it. The cook, Utah, leans on the bench opposite me.

"Y/n, when was the last time you ate?" I take another small sip of the soup.
"Two days ago." Utah glares at Law, almost as if she was throwing daggers right at him.
"I expect better from a doctor Law." 

Law glanced away and pushed his hat down, grimacing apologetically.
"What did you usually eat?" I pause, remembering the bowl of white rice and cup of whitish liquid that I had over and over and over again. 

Law watched me closely, before beginning to say something. I looked back at Utah before he had a chance to speak and said,
"One meal a day. A bowl of white rice and a cup of supplement liquid." I continue sipping the delicious soup, Law and Utah eyed each other in concern. 

I finish off the soup and drink my water. Never once was I ever full in that white room. Two men stumble in through the door and rush up to Law's side. 

One of them wore a cap with the words 'Penguin' and the other wore a cap shaped like an orca.
"Captain! We're ready to surface!" Law nods and stands up.
"Good. You have permission to surface immediately, make sure that there are no dangers." 

"Y/n, do you want to see the sky?" I nearly drop my cup. My eyes glisten and I stand up, giving a small nod. The sky

I saw it the night I had escaped, the shining stars, glowing moon and dark blue sky. I want to see the sky in the day, the clear sky and the smiling sun. 

I want to feel the warmth of the sun's rays. I want to hear the lapping of the waves, the squawking of the sea birds. 

I want to watch the clouds float by and see the different shapes. 

I want to smell the sun and the salt in the sea. 

I grabbed Law's sleeve again and followed him through the ship. We went up the stairs that I had tumbled down before and reached the heavy metal door. The blood marks I had left on the way down were gone already, spotless. 

We waited behind the door as the ship rocked gently from side to side and then suddenly seemed to bounce out of the sea. Law opened the door and the joy I felt was indescribable. 

I am free.

A/N: Hahh... this time, I really don't think I can get another chapter any time soon. Give me a few weeks, or months, or years... jkjk. A few weeks at least, but it WILL come out, dw. Please leave a comment or vote!! Much appreciated! Hope all you wonderful human beings have had an amazing week and continue to have an even better month (are any of u not hoomans?? ehh that doesn't matter, have a good one too!) Tq for reading this story and I'll see y'all next chapter!! >> Enjoy uwu!