Chapter 26

A/N: back from the dead y'all ✌️

My eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the light seeping in from the small window. It felt weird not waking up to see Law first thing in the morning. But despite the unsettling feeling of being alone, I knew he was on the ship, and that was enough to calm my nerves.

The soft smell of sunshine on clean bedsheets tickled my nose, the sun's yellow rays almost dancing around the room.

I stand and stretch, savouring the ache in my muscles and the fresh air that rushed into my lungs. The crisp tang of sea salt floated about, its presence both comforting and reviving.

I wash up and head out onto the deck. Everywhere I look, smiling faces and happy children greet me cheerfully, it was like this morning never happened. A tingle runs down my spine and I glance upwards at the stunningly blue sky.

Atop the crow's nest, a familiar mop of silvery blonde catches my attention. Our eyes met and within an instant, Keita's arms were hugging me tight, his skin cool from the morning breeze.

"You're here, you're really here!" His voice was clear, but I could hear a slight tremble, one that filled all kinds of emotions and memories. It reminded me that it was finally over, forever. Today, marked the day of a new beginning.

"I'm home," I whisper, "I'm finally home, Keita." He squeezed me tighter and then looked me in the eye. I could see a sea of emotions whirling within them, the colours of his pupils both stormy and sunny.

"Welcome back, y/n." We both laugh, happiness coursing through my body as if it was the blood in my veins. The joy that I feel, I hoped everyone will one day experience.

"Keita, why are you here?" I queried as his grip on me loosens. A cheesy grin graces his face and his eyes sparkle like the sunlight glistening on the ocean.

"My sister's finally free and home, how could I not welcome her back. Don't worry, I'll be leaving before they find out, this place is safe with me, forever." I smile, and open my mouth. But I close it again, not able to voice the surge of joy that I feel.

"I also need to find that boyfriend of yours, I owe him an apology and thanks." I blink at him and he raises his eyebrow.

A moment of silence passes awkwardly.

"My what?" I blurt out and he stares blankly at me, jaw dropping a few moments later. I feel the entire ship freeze, a breeze passing through the deck and the waves tumbling beneath us.

Keita closes his mouth and then opens it again as a sudden expression of realisation replaces the blank stare. He lets out a strained groan, shaking his head while running his fingers through his hair.

After some more silence, the rest of the ship seems to be lively and busy again, and Keita finally sighs and clicks his tongue.

"So you're telling me," he puts a hand on my shoulder, "that Trafalgar Law, Captain of the Heart Pirates," he pauses, "hasn't made this," he puts his other hand on my shoulder, "official yet?"

Not knowing what to do, I sheepishly smile at him, hoping for the best.

Law's POV

I sneeze and a shiver runs down my spine. A sudden feeling of animosity explodes through me, disappearing as abruptly as it came.

I swivel around my seat, cautiously scanning the room around me. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, just groups of children running about the dining hall laughing and squealing while the kitchen staff also run around for damage control.