◾ Chapter - 8 ◾

*Chloe*

"Oh for Christ's sake Tristen, It was 6 in the morning. Would you have really woken up If I had called?" I ask with raised eyebrows.

"To talk... NO. For pasta... YES." He says dramatically.

Apparently he is pissed coz we had pasta at 6 in the morning without him. We just came back from the Rosie's, bickering the entire way about it. 

"Hey mom.." The three of us greet my mom as we enter the kitchen.

"Hey kids..." She seems a bit off.

"Everything okay mom?" I ask while taking a seat beside Reece on an island stool.

"Yeah..." She nods.

"C'mon momma Martinez, you know you can tell us anything. It's not like we're gonna tell anyone." Reece coos making her chuckle. "Or its not like I can tell anyone." He gives her a weird look and mom's eyes snap at him.

Okay... what the fuck was that. 

"Are you guys doing that thing where you're saying something general but in a different context." Tris steals the words from my mouth. 

"No." Reece shifts in his seat hesitantly, while mom glares at him.

What is going on? Does this have something to do with Reece being MIA on me for three days.

"Mom what is it? What's bothering you?" I change the topic. 

"Its... about a case." She sighs. 

"What about it? Maybe we can help." Tris pipes in.

"Its a closed case. But I've been keeping tabs on this gang for a long time now. These people... They've been dormant for years... but these days, they are suspiciously active." She rubs her face. 

"Active how?" Reece asks. 

"Buying weapon, recruiting men into the gang, drug deals and stuff. I think they are planning something. Something big." She looks at me with worried eyes. Like she is concerned for me. But why? What does this case gotta do with me? 

"What do the others say?" I finally ask.

"Well, lets just say... me keeping tabs on these guys is not on official records. Its only me and Dept. Robinson." She explains.

"But mom, if these people are dangerous, you gotta tell the department. For back up you know. What if they don't believe you if something happens." 

She just nods at that. But for some reason I feel like she's hiding something from me. A secret. 

Suddenly I hear cars pull into our drive way... Like a lot of cars. "You invited more friends?" Mom asks.

"The only friends I have are in this room, mom" 

"Holy shit. They are here. Hide behind the island." She orders. 

"What do you mean? These people are after you?" Panic starts to rise in me. As we are hiding, shattering noise comes through the front door.

They are breaking in. I look at my mom and she is pulling out a Glock from a cabinet. What the hell, so that's why she never let me touch that cabinet. 

"No one moves until I say." She orders and we nod. "Chloe.. you see the 3rd drawer on your left?" I nod. "Quietly open it." Foots steps are heard in the living room. men are talking in hushed voices, doors are being opened and closed. 

"Now... there's a red button attached at the back, press it twice. Reece... open the 1st cabinet to your right and pull out those guns." He hands one to me and Tris and keeps one for himself. Tristen I just look at her with shocked eyes. But Reece is just neutral. Which is scary as hell.

"Celia... we know you are hiding in the kitchen...So its better you come out if you don't want your pretty little Chloe and her friends to die." A man with heavy spanish accent yells from the living room. 

Okay.. so they know my mom, me and my friends. Who the fuck are they?

"Its better you leave Andres before anything happens like last time." Last time? What happened last time? 

"tu perra" The man yells and starts firing. Luckily non of them hit us. How dare he call my mom a bitch. This sun of a bitch is dead.

"How dare you..." I shout and fire back aimlessly. I hear one of them yell in pain. Huh... I didn't know I could do that. 

"Chloe?" Mom shouts with gritted teeth. "What did you do?" 

"He called you a bitch." I shrug and both Reece and Tris nod, making mom roll her eyes.

"You taught your daughter well Celia... No wonder she is your and Sebastián's daughter." The bastard says. I can literally hear the smirk in his voice. But the million dollar question is, how does he know my waste of space of a dad. Seriously... what's going on here.

"Shut up Andres... Kids got nothing to with this... let them go and we can talk." Mom yells back.

"Talk." He laughs a humorless laugh. "You think I came here to talk? I'm not leaving until I see your lifeless face." 

What? Shivers run down spin at those words and my eyes snap to my mom. 

"Nothing's gonna happen sweetie.. I'll be just fine." She assures... but I'm far from being assured. I can't let anything happen to my mom. She's the only family I have. What would I do without her?

"The only person dying today... is you." I shout and fire a couple bullets again. This time Reece Mom And Tris back me up. Now I can see all of them. They are all dressed in black and the Andres guy is standing behind them so that no bullets touch him. Cowered.

We manage to take down a couple of guys before we run out of ammo. 

"Fuck." I sit back down with my back against the counter. 

"Language" Mom hisses and I look at her in disbelieve. 

"Seriously? Right now?" I say making Reece and Tris laugh. "Were is back up mom?" I ask frustrated.

"They're probably on their way. Now you listen to me. I got one last magazine. Our only chance to get out of here." She nods towards the back door, which is slightly ajar. "I'll cover you but you have to run as fast as possible." 

"No mom...What if you get hit?" 

"Don't worry about me. You are my priority right now." She snaps. She takes a peek over the counter. "On the count of three... 1... 2... 3..." We run towards the door and the gun shots sound at the same time... Mom fires back at them. The moment we are out I wait for my mom, but she does not show up.

"Mom.." I shout. 

No answer. 

"mom.." I shout. Tears pool up my eyes and my heart rate increases. The door opens but instead of walking she falls down. My heart sinks I run to her only to see her drenched in blood. Her own blood. 

"Mom.." I cry.  

"Put the pressure on the wounds." Reece gives me his jacket.

She's been shot... Three bullets in the stomach and 1 through her shoulder blade. Oh god.. Please. Don't do this. Please don't take her away from me. Please don't take my mom away. 

"Mom.. please stay with me.. Please... don't do this to me." I cry with her in my arms.

I hear all the cars pull out of our drive way as the police sirens blaze through the street. Reece and Tris run back inside to inform them. "Helps here mom... You'll be alright." Tear slips through her eyes as she smiles at me. She grabs my hand with her weak ones.

"I love you, Pumpkin. Always remember that." Suddenly the medics come into view and she is ripped out of my arms. 

*****

Intense... Ikr. But I enjoyed writing this chapter. I feel like its more me. I mean this time I just penned down everything going on my mind without having to modify it. And I think it came out really well. What do you guys think about it? Let me know in the comments.

◾ Peace ◾