◾ Chapter - 10 ◾

*Chloe*

"We all have gathered here to pay our tributes and respect to a very important part of our community, our system. Our protector, sheriff Martinez. We're also here to show our  love and support to her family and friends. 

Now, the sheriff department, may go ahead with their ceremony." With that been said, all the cops seated around us stand up and march towards my mother's coffin. Two of them lay the American flag on her and then they stand by. 

"This is a call for Sheriff Martinez." The Commissioner says and in that moment, the tears I've been holding, slip from my eyes. "This is the last call for Sheriff Martinez, Sheriff do you copy?

"No response. Radio number 43 is out of service after 16 years and 5 months in police service. Gone, but never forgotten." With that they all march out. 

I can't believe she is gone. She really is... dead. She is never coming back to me. But I swear to god, I'm gonna fine those motherfucking shitholes and make them pay for it. 

This time Dad steps to the podium to deliver her eulogy. I couldn't bring myself to say anything, I just couldn't. Its too damn hard for me. Also these past days, the one thing I realized, is whatever was the reason for him to abandon us, he truly loved mom. He loved her with his heart and soul. And trust me, saying he is devastated, would the understatement of the millennia.

He starts and I lean my head onto Tristen's shoulder and Reece grabs my hand from the other side. These two boys have been my pillars. The only reason I'm haven't been shattered is because, they stood by me. The only time they went back home was today... to get ready for the funeral. I love them, and god knows I wouldn't have made it to my mother's funeral if it wasn't for them. 

My hold on Tristen's arm and Reece's hand tightens as my father's voice breaks. I see a tear slip from under his shades but wipes it off quick. After he is done, the priest steps over, says the prayers and then the coffin is laid to rest into the soil. Both of them hold me as tight as possible. Like I am the desert sand slipping out of their hands. 

All the others from our family, which I never knew existed come forward to drop flowers before she is tucked away for good. The lady I saw in the hospital the other day walks over to me.

"Honey... its time for you to say goodbye." She says to all three of us. Reece nods for us and we walk, more like drag ourselves to the place. I drop the lilies I brought for her. Her favorites. 

"I love you mom. I love you so much. And-And I promise, that I will get those bastards to repay. They'll go through hell on this earth." I sob.

"We love you Celia, You've been a mother to both of us. You've been our best friend. Damn... You knew stuff that even my own parents didn't." We all chuckle at Reece's statements. 

"You'll be missed Celia." Tris finishes for us.

I drive home with my father and the entire time, no words are exchanged. There's a couple of things I found out about him though. First... he is rich as fuck. I mean the dude came to the funeral in a limo. Second, He is an important person coz he is escorted everywhere by his bodyguards. 

And just so we are clear... Just because I hugged him in a weak moment doesn't mean I'm okay with whatever shit happened in the past. I have not forgiven him. And yeah... There's something he wants to talk to me about... but I've been ignoring him. But I guess I don't have a choice anymore. 

When the car stops at the front of my house, without a word I get out and sprint to my room. Reece and Tristen are already there. Their blazers lying on my bed while they both sit on my bed and the desk chair. I give them a small smile and walk into the bathroom to get changed into something comfortable. 

As soon as I am out, I hear a knock on the door. 

Here we go. "Come in." I say and Dad walks in.

"How did you two get in?" He asks as his eyes land on Reece and Tris. "Not through the front door, that's for sure." He shakes his head.

"Um.. yes sir... We were just gonna leave." 

"No.... Stay." I say immediately. 

"But Chole.." Dad protests.

"No.. whatever you wanna talk about... you talk in front of them. They are family." He sighs in what sounded like defeat and takes the desk chair and motions for me to sit. 

"I know... these past days have been hard for you." No shit Sherlock. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. "I also know.. that this situation, doesn't mean that we are okay. So I just want you to hear me out. I want you to know why I did what I did." 

"Yeah.. I know... because you are a selfish bastard who just cared to become rich without having to think of his daughter and wife." I sneer.

"Eve... just hear him out." Reece pipes in.

"Why are you taking his side Reece. Out off all people you know, how I feel about him. This is the same guy who abandoned me before I was even born." I fire back. Tris too gives him a confused look.

"She's right... why are you on his side?" Tristen backs me up. 

"There it is... Now we have nothing to talk about." I turn back to him. I start to walk away but what he says next... fuels my rage.

"We did it to protect you." Of course you did.

"Yeah... from who... the stacks of money you made" I scoff. From the corner of my eyes I see Reece running a hand through his hair, as if he is frustrated. Like he just wanted me to sit back and listen to the bullshit my father has to throw at me.

What's going on... Hmm, there's only one way to find out. 

"Fine... I'll be quite now." I roll my eyes and sit back down. 

*****

While writing the second para... I thought, what if instead of writing cops I wrote corps (by mistake.) LMFAO. That would have been an epic plot twist. And yeah... the funeral scene is inspired from TVD. The time when Liz dies. I'm not good at writing funerals so.. I just picked a piece for the series. 

Anyways... what were your thoughts. How did you feel after reading it. Let me know in the comments. 

P.s. I just finished watching OBX. And man.. I'm in loooovvveeee. Comment your fav ship and character. Mine is Jarah (fav ship) and JJ (fav character) . I love JJ. That guy is the best.

◾ Peace ◾