𝐓𝐖𝐎

Hope Ashford

"But are you two okay?" my dad asks us, his eyes full of worry. We both nod reassuringly. Honestly I'm not okay, I feel so weird. My hands were still shaking and my heart was beating so fast, but my dad goes over the top so I wasn't going to admit that I'm still freaked out.

"It was just the scare Mr. Ashford, but other than that we're okay," April says to my dad.

"Yeah you have nothing to worry about," I assure him, even though I'm not so sure. "April's pepper spray saved us," I add trying to reassure my dad. Maybe I shouldn't have told him. His facial expression's unreadable and I can't tell what he's going to do.

Well, my dad gave us a big speech on how Jeremy was hired for a reason and how we should be safe. Listen I'm glad that he cares but April and I are okay. Luckily nothing happened to us.

The next morning during breakfast, my parents kept on exchanging glances. I stared at them in confusion. Oh, wait a minute, my dad must've told my mom about the 'almost getting kidnapped' incident. How could I forget?

"You tell her," my mom whisper-yells to my dad. Do they seriously think I can't hear them? They're horrible at whispering.

"No you tell her!" my dad whispers back. I roll my eyes in annoyance and drop my fork, making a loud clanking sound.

"So who's going to tell me because I'm so tired of all the murmuring and whispering that I can clearly hear," I say, sounding annoyed. They both look at other and finally my dad sits up straight and clears his throat. Oh, God.

"Hope," my dad says. I nod, urging for him to continue so he can put an end to my curiosity. "Your mother and I were talking about yesterday's events," he explains. I nod again. "So we have decided to hire a body guard for you." I stare at him for a couple of seconds without saying anything before bursting out in laughter.

"A bodyguard? For me?" I ask in between laughs. Both my parents nod, looking serious but I choose to believe that they're just messing with me. "You two are insane," I say before taking a bite out of my apple.

"Hope," my mother begins, "we've never said no to you your entire life but I am tired of you not doing as we say!" I stop laughing. "You are getting a bodyguard whether you like it or not!"

"I'm eighteen, I don't need a bodyguard!" I shout back. What the hell do they think I am? An irresponsible teenager? "I'm practically an adult," I add.

"Yes, indeed, you are an adult," my mom agrees with a nod. "An adult who still depends on her parents, and as long as you live under our roof you'll do as we say. End of discussion!" I sit there silently, she's never yelled at me like that before.

"I'm not hungry anymore," I say as I get up and walk out of the dining room.

God this is ridiculous but who knows, maybe they'll forget about it and not hire a bodyguard. There's no way in hell I'm getting a bodyguard. I won't have freedom, I'm gonna go out with my friends while a bodyguard is going to be following me around. Absolutely not.

I got ready for my graduation. Jeremy drove me and my parents are going to catch up later. Honestly the thought of leaving high school started me tear up but I didn't want to ruin my makeup so I tried my best to hold back my tears.

I met up with April and we took our seats. There were many speeches, and honestly only one of was making me tear up. Maybe because the person who was saying that speech was April. I hardly show my emotions but they really showed during her speech. April speaks from her heart and never fails to impress people. April is the only person who hasn't let me down other than my dad. My mom hasn't let me down but I'm not as close with her as I am with my dad. My mom doesn't understand me like my dad does.

After the ceremony, I had a long hug with my friends. We all cried and laughed at some dumb jokes. High school went by so fast and now it's time for college. I'm terrified for college. I don't know how I'm going to be independent. How am I supposed to make friends when I'm not exactly social.

"I'm so proud of you," my dad says as he hugs me tightly.

Lots and lots of pictures were taken. Everything was so exciting yet so sad. I didn't think I would be this sad. The ceremony went by so fast. At least I'm taking two gap years, no school, no homework, no seeing those teachers that I really hate. We've got to look at the good side of everything.

Afterward, we went out to eat with April and her parents. Our parents talked about business while we talked about the most random things.

"Sucks that Leo couldn't make it to your graduation," April says. I shrugged.

Leo, my boyfriend that I almost forgot about. Leo's whatever, that's what he has always treated me as; whatever. Now that I treat him like that, he decides to become clingy? Pathetic.

"I don't care," I admit. "And you know what?" I sigh.
"I might break up with him, I'm bored of him." April sinks into her chair.

"Welp there goes another one of your boyfriends," April says. I shrug carelessly. Honestly I don't have any kind of feelings for Leo. He's good looking and everything but not the guy for me. Besides he used to treat me like shit and now he's gonna get it back. He's used to girls who put up with his bullshit. There's no way in hell I'm gonna be one of those girls.

"Hope?" I look up at my mom. "I hope you don't mind, I invited Leo to join us and he'll arrive in a couple of minutes," she says. Oh my gosh. Why would she invite him without even asking me first? He's my boyfriend. I should've had a say.

I shoot her a fake smile.

"No, yeah, that's totally fine," I lie. "After all, he is my boyfriend, isn't he? Why would I mind?" I awkwardly laugh as I look over at April. Who looks like she could burst into laughter any second now.

Fuck. My. Life.