𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Hope Ashford

"Hope! Someone's here for you!" I hear my mom call from downstairs. I groan as I get up from my bed. Maybe it's April. Hopefully, it's April or one of my other friends. Except for Jayla, Jayla never visits me. Well, she may start to since she has a crush on Adrian.

I make my way downstairs and my eyes widen when I see her. My old best friend from middle school. "Shut up," I put my hand over my mouth. "You're lying," I say causing her to laugh. She looks so...different. In a good way obviously.

She runs up to me and gives me the biggest hug. "I've missed you so much," Brenda says as she rocks me from side to side while holding me.

"I've missed you too," I pull away from her and look at her for a good minute just to make sure I'm not dreaming.

Brenda and I were so close back then. She's one year older than me, so she left middle school while I still had one year. That was what led me to meet April. After that, Brenda and I didn't see each other because we went to different high schools. Well not until now.

"Guess what?" Brenda asks.

"What?" I ask in return.

"Look," she lifts her hand showing me a beautiful engagement ring. "I'm getting married in one month and I wanted to invite you personally," Brenda says.

"No way, but you're getting married at nineteen?" I ask.

"Yeah, but I'm like so in love with my fiancé," Brenda states. I never thought she'd get married this young. Especially because she talked about wanting to travel around the world before committing to a relationship and getting married.

"Well, in that case, I'm happy for you Brenda," I say truthfully. "Congratulations."

"You should bring a date with you, lots of my friends are," Brenda says. I look at her blankly. "Or don't, your choice! I was just suggesting."

"I'll think about it," I awkwardly chuckle.

"I'm picking out my dress tomorrow and a few of my friends are coming," Brenda explains. "Do you wanna come?" Brenda asks me.

"Yeah of course, just tell me where and I'll be there," I assure. "Oh also, I forgot to mention I have a bodyguard now. Is it okay if he comes? He'll probably have to go to the wedding with me too and I just wanna make sure that's okay with you," I explain.

"Oh yeah, that's fine!" Brenda nods. "I also had a bodyguard like a year ago but he quit, and thankfully my dad didn't hire another one," Brenda chuckles.

"Oh wow," I awkwardly smile, I don't really know what to respond. "Do you wanna stay for a bit?" I ask.

"I actually someone else to visit but here," she hands me the wedding invitation. "Your parents are invited too of course, and here," Brenda hands me a card. "That's where I'll be tomorrow at eleven in the morning," Brenda informs me. "See you, tomorrow love," Brenda hugs me one more time before making her way to the front door.

"Bye," I say before she walks out. I examine the wedding invitation. It's a really pretty invitation. I walk over to the library and read everything on the invitation. Seems like the fiancé's name is; Henry.

I'm so glad I got to see Brenda after so long. It's been like what? Five years? She was always so kind to me. I remember I was having trouble making friends in middle school and out of the blue Brenda started hanging out with me because we had PE together. Different teachers because of the grade but same period. Brenda and I were literally inseparable. Now that I saw her again, I'm beginning to miss our old bond. Hopefully, her and I  become close friends again.

Not having Adrian around is kinda feeling weird. I got so used to him in a small amount of time. He'll be back tomorrow anyway.

Fuck, I almost forgot what my mom said earlier about Leo's parents inviting us to dinner. Well now that she knows that Leo and I are no longer together, she won't make me go. At least I hope she doesn't.

I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, I pull my phone out and Leo's name is flashing across the screen. Speaking of the devil. I roll my eyes and groan in annoyance. I don't know if I should pick it up or not. My phone continues to vibrate, it stops when I swipe to the right. I pull my phone up to my ear.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hope, I'm happy to finally hear your voice again," Leo chuckles. Oh please, it's been days not years. "Did your mom tell you about the invite for dinner?" Leo asks.

"Mhm," I hum in response.

"I was thinking," Leo starts. "We could try to work things out, I really miss you and I want to try again." Oh no. Absolutely not.

"Leo, I'm gonna be brutally honest with you," I sigh. "I don't feel anything towards you, nada. So no, I don't want to work things out."

"Oh come on Hope," Leo whines. "We're an amazing couple, so many people liked us together and— wait... Is there someone else and that's why you don't wanna take me back?" Man, I wish there was someone else so I could use an excuse but unfortunately no.

"No Leo, I just don't want you," I snap. "Now please leave me the fuck alone," I hang up and shove my phone into my pocket. There's no way he misses me when he literally treated me like shit, and there's no way I'm going to dinner with him and his parents. I'll lock myself up in my room and pretend to be asleep. My mom can go to dinner with them if she wants I don't care, but she's not gonna make me go.