𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Hope Ashford

Yeah, that's exactly what I get for trying to be nice to him. Whatever. Who cares, he's just a bodyguard. So why did it sting when he snapped at me? That's what I'm asking myself. I don't even care if someone has an attitude with me because I can just return the energy but for some fucking reason when Adrian did, it stung.

"If anyone asks, I'm gonna be up in my room," I say as I start making my way upstairs.

"Wait," I sigh as I turn around, and my eyes meet his. "I'm sorry for lashing out at you back there, I'm just really stressed and I didn't mean to," Adrian apologizes. To be honest, I didn't think he was gonna apologize. I don't know what to say. It's okay?

"It's whatever, don't worry about it." That should do it, right? Who cares? I shouldn't even be hurt or upset because Adrian was rude to me. He's my bodyguard and nothing more. I turn around and walk upstairs to my room.

"I'm just really stressed and I didn't mean to," I shouldn't take it personally. Even if it was personal. He's just a bodyguard.

I've been tossing and turning in bed for the past forty minutes. I can't sleep and I'm thirsty. I get up from my bed and walk out of my room. I make my way downstairs and into the kitchen.

I grab a glass and pour myself water. After that, I start walking back to my room when I hear something shatter. The sound came from the hallway where the employees sleep. I only see one light on in the hallway. I start walking towards the room that has the lights on.

I don't want to knock because I don't know who sleeps in that room. I try to peek through the keyhole but I can hardly see anything.

I finally knock twice. "Who is it?" It's Adrian. This is Adrian's room. Well if I would've known I wouldn't have knocked considering what happened earlier. Do I walk away or do I walk in? "Who is it?" Adrian repeats.

"It's me," I blurt out. I wince waiting for him to open the door but he doesn't. I furrow my brows in confusion. "Are you okay?" I ask. No response. I grab onto the handle and twist it. To my surprise, the door wasn't locked and I was able to open it.

I walk in and Adrian is sitting on his bed, facing the wall. "What are you doing Hope?" Adrian asks. I start walking toward him and before I can speak, I feel a sharp pain in my foot.

"Shit!" I yelp in pain. Adrian turns around and grabs my hand preventing me from falling to the ground. "I think I stepped on something," I say.

"I forgot to clean that up," Adrian mutters as he sits me on his bed. I look over at the spot where I hurt my foot. There was glass everywhere. "Ow!" I shout as Adrian pulls the piece of glass out of my foot. I cover my mouth with my hand.

"I'm gonna have to clean the wound or it'll get infected," Adrian points out as he reaches over and grabs a first aid kit. Ignoring what he said, I notice that the glass came from a picture frame. It's facing down so I can't see who is in the picture. I wince in pain when I feel a stinging sensation in my cut. Adrian then puts a bandage on my foot. "I'll help you up to your room," Adrian offers.

While Adrian is walking towards the door, I flip the picture over. It's a picture of Adrian and a girl— BRENDA?? What the hell? Adrian quickly grabs the picture and throws it into the trash bin. "Was that..." I trail off. "I also had a bodyguard like a year ago but he quit, and thankfully my dad didn't hire another one." Oh my God.

"Hope, I have to help you back up to your room," Adrian says like I didn't just see a picture of him and Brenda. That's why he was acting so weird around her.

"I know it's none of my business but—"

"Exactly, it's none of your business so don't ask questions," Adrian states. That stung even more than what he said at the Bridal Shop. He reaches for my arm but I push his hand away.

"I can do it myself," I snap. I get up and manage to walk on the wound. I feel the footsteps behind me. "Go back to your room Newman, I'm fine."

"I'm just trying to make sure you're okay," Adrian says.

"I'm fine," I reply as I continue to walk. I grab onto the railing to support myself and start walking upstairs. I can still feel Adrian walking behind me. I shouldn't have walked into his room, of course, he wasn't gonna tell me. Whatever, I don't fucking care.

I finally make it up to my room. "I didn't want to be rude Hope, but it's my personal problem and it's no one else's business but mine," Adrian explains.

"Don't apologize," I reply. "I was just asking because it's my friend in that picture," I lie. I wanted to know because of him. I mean sure I want to know because of Brenda too but mostly because of him. I have so many questions but they're gonna stay unanswered I guess.

"You recognized her?" Adrian asks. I nod my head yes. Of course, I recognized her. How could I not? She used to be my best friend. "I didn't think you did," he adds.

"You don't have to come to that wedding with me," I say. "My parents will go with me anyway," I add.

"I can go," Adrian protests. "Hope, I'm over the whole situation," he assures. "I wasn't just upset over Brenda, it was also another problem I have with my family."

"You shattered the picture frame, I don't think you're over it," I say.

"I didn't shatter it on purpose," Adrian assures. "It was in some things that I brought from my apartment and I dropped it out of shock," Adrian explains. I believed him, but he didn't need to do all that explaining.

"I believe you," I answer. "But you don't have to give me an explanation," I reply.

"I just wanted to clarify things," Adrian states. "Good night Hope."

"Night," And with that, he walked out of my room.