𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄

Hope Ashford

He walks inside. I'm gonna end up regretting this but it's too late, I already let him in. I also really need someone to talk to. Believe me, Newman wasn't the person I had in mind but he seems genuine and maybe he won't judge me. Even if I've misjudged him these past days, perhaps he'll make me feel better? I don't know. Man I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

Newman sits on my couch, and I sit on my bed. We both sit there silently. This is gonna be awkward if I don't say something now, but I don't know what to say. How do I even start? What am I supposed to say? 'Oh I saw mom cheating on my dad' no I'm not gonna put it like that.

"We've been sitting here for five minutes and you haven't said anything," Newman says.

"I saw my mom cheating on my dad," I blurt out. I hate myself. I just said I wasn't gonna put it like that.

"Where did you see her?" Newman asks.

"In her office, I peeked through the window and she was doing... things with another man," I say.

"And you're one hundred percent sure that it wasn't your dad who she was with?" Newman asks.

"I would've recognized my dad," I say in defense. "And I can assure you that wasn't my dad," I state. "God I've been trying to make her proud for so many years," I stand up and walk over to my window. "And she turned out to be a horrible person," I rant.

"Are you gonna tell your dad?" Newman asks me. I haven't even thought about that. I should tell him. Wait no. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want to betray him either. Oh my gosh, why was I put in this situation? Why me? Maybe it would've been better if I didn't find out.

"I don't know," I say softly. "I don't know what to do Newman, this is all so messy," I sigh and wipe the single tear that rolled down my cheek.

"I'm sorry," Newman says quietly. "If I can do anything to help just let me know."

"Don't say anything about what I just told you please," I turn around to look at him. "I'll tell my dad at some point but what I just told you is for your ears only okay?"

"I won't say a word," Newman assures.

"Thank you," I reply. That's the one thing I never thought I would say to Newman, and I certainly didn't think I'd be ranting to him about something so personal that even April won't know about. For some reason I really feel like I can trust him with this, even if we started on the wrong foot. It's like a gut feeling.

"Yeah, I'll go now," Newman says as he walks towards the door, he walks out and shuts the door.

I hate to admit this but, talking to Newman about the situation made me feel better, a lot better. Like a relief. Although, guilt still drains me. I'm gonna feel like a complete traitor if I don't tell my dad what I saw soon. Every time I walk past him, every time he hugs me, every time we talk, all I'm gonna feel is guilt.

My dad doesn't deserve this. No wonder my mom is always so fucking rude to him for no reason. I hate her. I hate her so much. I feel actual hatred towards her right now. How could she possibly cheat on my dad who's the sweetest guy ever? She doesn't deserve him. I want to confront her, I want to yell and scream at her. How can she possibly do this to my dad without feeling any sort of remorse?

Adrian Newman

"Did you check up on Hope?" Katherine asks. I nod my head in response. "What happened? Why was she upset? Was she having a tantrums again?" I'd like to answer one question at a time please.

"She got into a fight with one of her friends, it's no big deal," I lie.

"But didn't you say she was upset after she went to see her mom?" Katherine asks. Fuck, I did say that.

"I confused things," I lie again. Katherine doesn't respond and just continues to sweep the floor.

I feel really bad for Hope, I thought her parents had a good relationship and that they were a happy couple. I guess not. I honestly never could've imagined that her mom was cheating on her dad.

"Hello," Nina says as she walks in. "What are you guys up to?" she asks.

"We were just talking about Hope," Katherine replies.

"What why?" Nina asks. "Is she having one of her tantrums again?" Nina scoffs. "That girl doesn't have limits, what's she being ungrateful for now?" Talk about jumping into conclusions. Why do people have the need to automatically assume that Hope doesn't have problems other than "tantrums." It's ridiculous.

"I have to go check if Hope needs anything so if you'll excuse me," I walked out of the kitchen and made my way upstairs. Hope was also walking out of her room.

"I was just about to go look for you," Hope says when she sees me. "We're gonna go to the nearest park," Hope states. "I wanna get ice cream, and I'll get you some too let's go," Hope starts walking downstairs. I didn't respond and just followed her out. I didn't think she would be this calm but I'm glad she is.

"Are we going walking or is Jeremy taking us?" I ask.

"Walking, it's really close by," Hope replies. I nod and continue following her.

Hope was right, the park was really close by so we got there in like five minutes.

"We're gonna go to that ice cream shop over there," Hope points at a bright pink ice cream shop. "What ice cream flavor do you want?" Hope asks.

"You don't have to buy me ice cream," I state.

"Yeah I know, but I want to," Hope replies. It's not that I don't want ice cream, I like ice cream but I'm not gonna let Hope buy me ice cream. I don't think that would be very professional of me.

"I can buy my own Hope it's fine," I say.

"Please let me buy you ice cream this once," Hope pleads. "Just this once," she repeats.

"Are you gonna poison the ice cream or something Hope?" I joke. She rolls her eyes and I can see her trying to hold in a smile.

"You know what maybe I will," Hope says back trying to hide her smile.

"Seriously I can pay for my own ice cream," I insist.

"You're so stubborn," Hope says and crosses her arms. I cross my arms to mock her.

"Right back at you," I reply.

"You won't die if I pay for your ice cream Newman," Hope points out.

"Maybe not," I agree. "But it's not very professional of me to let you pay for my ice cream when I can pay for it myself," I state.

"Well consider it payback for being my therapist," Hope says as she pats my shoulder. I shake my head no. "Newman, it's free ice cream how can you say no?" She has a point.

"Fine, but only if you let me pay for your ice cream next time we come here," I suggest. "Deal?" I stretch my hand out to Hope.

"Deal," Hope interlocks our pinkies instead of shaking my hand. I guess that works too.