𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Adrian Newman

I walk around the house. I then see a paper on the ground. When I pick it up to throw it away, the texture feels more like a picture. I flip it over and it's a picture of Hope. Why was a picture of Hope on the ground? It looks kind of recent. Maybe it was taken before her graduation. It's not a big picture, it could fit in my wallet.

"Adrian," I quickly shove the picture inside my back pocket. I turn around to look at Mrs.Pierce. "Hope can't stay out longer than eight pm, got it?"

"Yes ma'am," I reply. She walks past me and I walk into the kitchen. Fuck, it's only Nina. It's too late to walk out because she saw me. I don't want to be rude and just walk out. "Hi."

"Hi Adrian," Nina says flatly. This is awkward. "Did you and Hope have fun?" I look at her confused. 

"What?" I ask. Like genuinely what? I'm getting sick of her questions. Questions that sound more like demands. I don't understand why she's always annoyed that I'm with Hope. I'm Hope's bodyguard for fuck's sake.

"Adrian," I look straight into her eyes. "Do you like Hope?" Nina asks. No? Uh. No, I don't. I don't. Fuck, I don't even know. The worse thing is I'm staying silent right now not answering Nina's question, making myself look suspicious.

"I work for Hope, Nina," I say.

"That wasn't a fucking no," Nina snaps. She sounds so angry. Extremely angry, almost like jealousy— wait. Is that what this is? Jealousy? Of course. How could I have been so stupid? It was so obvious. Her demands and when she was trying to talk me out of my no relationships mindset.

"You're being ridiculous Nina," I walk out of the kitchen through the back door that leads outside. I feel bad yes. But she knows I don't like her, and back to her question. I can't like Hope either, but it's getting harder and harder to not feel anything other than friendship for her. I hate it, I hate that she's waking up old feelings and new ones that I wasn't aware of.

I hate that I can't get her out of my head. I hate that I care about her as much as I do. I hate that I get excited to see her. I hate that she's making me feel things I've never felt before. I hate that I'm starting to let my guard down for her.

This has to stop. I've been hurt twice, and there's no way I'm freely gonna let myself get hurt a third time. Hope is amazing, but that doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly break the commitment I made. No more relationships. Maybe I was wrong, and maybe I don't do my job correctly.

Brenda's words replay in my head. 'Hope won't take you seriously, she has played guys who literally shit money and you think she'll commit to you?'

I have to stop. I have to stop being close to Hope because I've finally come to my senses. I've been falling in love with her without even realizing it until now. Until now that Nina opened my eyes with that question. I have to keep my distance from now on. Even if it hurts for now. I'll thank myself in the future when I'm not heartbroken over Hope.

Hope Ashford

HE DIDN'T SAY NO. Yes, I just so happened to overhear their conversation. I didn't do it on purpose, but what concerns me is how happy I've been since I heard that. He didn't deny it. He didn't say yes either but if he didn't like me he would've straight up said no. But he didn't.

I didn't want to accept or acknowledge my feelings towards Adrian but after he didn't deny that he likes me. My reaction makes me realize how hard I've been falling for Adrian. For my bodyguard. I smile like an idiot. He does like me, I think. I hope he likes me. I want him to like me.

Thank you, Nina. For once, I don't hate her. If I would've gotten her fired, I wouldn't have found out about Adrian's feelings towards me— okay, I need to stop getting ahead of myself. I think Adrian likes me. I'm eighty percent sure.

I bring my speaker into the shower and play my old love playlist. The one I never thought I would relate to. Wait. Hold on. Is what I feel for Adrian even love or am I just confusing myself? You know what? I won't even stress over that right now.

I press play and get inside the shower. I sing as I wash my hair. "Oh, I remember you driving to my house in the middle of the night. I'm the one who makes you laugh when you know you're 'bout to cry. And I know your favorite songs. And you tell me 'bout your dreams. Think I know where you belong. Think I know it's with me."

I took a very long shower. Maybe because I enjoyed relating to love songs for once. It's such an amazing feeling, especially when you feel like everything you feel for that person is returned to you. I don't know if what I feel is love. I don't think so. A person can't fall in love that fast can they?

I don't know who to ask for advice. In other circumstances, I think I would've asked my mom but what does she know about love? I'd ask April but I don't know if she's been in love before. I can always ask my dad. Yes, I should.

Once I'm done changing, I rush downstairs and walk to my dad's office. I look around to see if Adrian's anywhere but he isn't. I wanted to see him but maybe he was asleep.

I walk inside my dad's office. He's reading some papers, but he looks up at me. "Do you need something sweetheart?" he asks. I nod my head in response. He gestures for me to sit so I do. "What is it?"

"Dad," I sigh nervously. I rub my hands together not knowing what to ask or say first. "There's this guy," I start. My dad nods. "I know I feel something towards him. It's something really amazing. But I'm not sure if it's love. I mean, I've only known him for like three months. Is it too soon for me to consider it love?"

"Sweetheart, you're eighteen years old," he says. "It's at the age where you could be falling in love. It could be love. There isn't a specific amount of time to label love. If you truly believe it's love, it might be love." I smile. I made the right choice by talking to my dad. Guilt rushes over me making my smile fade. The way he talks. He must love my mom. I hate her. My dad deserves so much better than her.

"Would you mind telling me who's this lucky guy who has won over your heart?" I smile at that. I want to tell him it's Adrian but I don't think it's right. Maybe I should wait until I'm one hundred percent sure he feels the same way about me.

"I'll tell you when I think it's the right time," I say. My dad nods his head. I stand up and walk over to him, planting a kiss on his head. "Goodnight dad, and thank you."