𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Hope Ashford

"Hey babe," Leo says to me as he sits in between me and April. I look over at her giving her the 'Did he really just do that?' look. She nods at me, an annoyed expression on her face. Leo leans over to give me a kiss.

I don't want to kiss him.

"Have you tried these?" I ask as I turn my face away, avoiding his lips. I point at the donuts. I used to be okay with kissing him, but now, the thought of having his lips on mine makes me want to throw up.

"Yes Hope, I'm pretty sure I've tried donuts before," Leo says in an annoyed tone. I shrug and take a bite out of my donut. I hear April snicker which makes me want to laugh, but I don't.

"Leo, do you know what you're going to do with your life?" my mom asks him. I know exactly what he's doing with his life. He's going to be a doctor, although he seems like the kind to be a rich single man who goes to clubs every night and brings chicks home.

"I'm taking a gap year and then I'm going to Medical School," Leo replies. I roll my eyes without anyone noticing. "Amazing right?" The cockiness in his voice makes me roll my eyes because he knows that I'm unsure about what I want to do with my life.

"Leo that's great!" my mom exclaims. Blah blah blah. Whatever. I fake smile at them. Leo likes to brag about going to Medical School to become a doctor.
I get that it's an amazing goal but he just over does it. He brings it up whenever he can, like we get it! You're gonna be a doctor. Woo hoo!

I don't know how I'm supposed to break up with Leo. Honestly I'd do it right now but I don't want to ruin the night. I'll tell him tomorrow and I'll finally be free again, single. I smile at the thought of being single. That's a relief. Now, getting rid of Leo will be an even bigger relief.

Luckily, Leo decided to leave early because apparently his mom called him. He tried to kiss me again but didn't succeed. I don't want his mouth on mine. Absolutely not, that's disgusting.

When dinner was finally over, I stayed up in my room going through a few magazines.

A million thoughts running through my mind.

Those girls are just so pretty. Why can't I look like them? I wish I'd look like them.

My entire life, I've been compared to other girls to the point where even I started comparing myself to other girls.

It's not just my appearance. Many people say I literally have no personality whatsoever. Maybe they're right from their perspective but the only person who really knows me is April. I don't think I'd be myself around anyone else other than her.

All of my mom's relatives and friends are so critical when it comes to me. All they have to say is negative things about me but here's the thing, my own mother has agreed with their negative comments quite a few times. Yes I may act like I don't give a shit and most of the time I didn't give a shit, but when my mom literally agreed with them is when I started caring.

I shoved the magazines inside my drawers and got under my covers.

Adrian Newman

"I wanna be a bodyguard like you when I grow up," Sophia says as she tosses the basketball at me. "It seems like a cool job," Sophia adds.

I grin at her. "I see you more as a teacher," I admit, tossing the ball back at her. "But you're only thirteen you still have time to decide on what you want to be when you're older."

"Quick question." I nod at her. "Why'd you get fired from your job last time?" Sophia asks. I tense up a little. I've never really wanted to talk about it, especially because I'm over it now. "Is it because you didn't do your job correctly or what?" Sophia asks.

"I've always done my job correctly," I say defensively. "The reason is really stupid and I doubt you would understand." The reason I got fired is because I broke one of the important rules in being a bodyguard; don't get emotionally involved with your client.

It was never my intention to fall in love with her but it just happened. I'm staying professional from now on. Besides, I doubt I can fall in love again after those two girls who I ended up getting hurt by. One of them was my best friend who was my first love, my second love was my client. I don't plan on getting hurt a third time.

"I'm thirteen, a freakin' teenager! I definitely would understand," Sophia says confidently.

"Can we change the topic?" I ask. I think of what to say to change the subject. "I got hired by a rich family so I can get you that nice bicycle you wanted."

"You got hired?" Sophia exclaims. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I'm telling you now," I reply. "Besides, I just found out an hour ago, and apparently I'm qualified for the job," I say confidently. I turn to look at the time. "And you have school tomorrow so go to sleep now."

"No I'm not tired yet," Sophia whines and sticks out her bottom lip making a pouty face.

"I have to get up early too so go brush your teeth and then go to your room," I order. Sophia groans in annoyance and starts walking to the bathroom. I sigh as I start walking up to my room.

The only person I'm close to is Sophia. I love her more than anything else in this world. She's the only family I have.

Last year, I got full custody of Sophia. My mom is an irresponsible woman who doesn't care about what happens to us. She says she does but that's clearly not true after she once put Sophia in danger just to go see one of her many lovers.

My dad died while my mom was in labor with Sophia. He was rushing to the hospital and he got into a really bad car crash. He was the only parent who was constantly there for me. It makes me sad how he couldn't meet Sophia.

My mom always said I was the reason she couldn't live her teenage years the way she wanted to, my dad always said I saved him when he needed it the most. Believe me I don't like to wish death upon anyone, but I would've wanted my mom to be dead instead of
my dad.