𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

Adrian Newman

I felt bad after hearing what Mrs. Pierce said to Hope. Two reasons. Number one, my mom once said something similar to Sophia when Sophia was going to the winter dance. Sophia cried so much that night and didn't even go to the dance. I hated my mom so much for that. Number two, saying that to your daughter is just messed up in general, but then again maybe her mom didn't have bad intentions. I don't know.

Hope walks out of her room. I didn't see her while she was talking to her mom but her mom was wrong. Hope looks really good in that dress. With all due respect, her mom has a shitty opinion.

"Enjoying the party?" I ask as I walk towards Hope. She jumps a little when she hears me and puts her hand on her chest.

"You know a 'hey' would be nice before you pop out of nowhere," Hope says and rolls her eyes.

"Hope come down here!" One of her friends calls from downstairs. Hope rushes downstairs and hugs her two of her friends. I stay there just watching as more people arrive. I keep my gaze on Hope just to make sure she's alright. I watch as her energy runs out and she just slowly stops talking.

The party wasn't as big as I thought it would be. I imagined a big noisy crowd, but no. After six hours or so, people started leaving. I was getting pretty bored too, I was just sitting on a chair watching Hope, but eventually Hope ended up locking herself in her room after her friends had to leave. Some of her relatives were still there, I don't get why she wasn't spending time with them.

I got tired of just standing there and made my way to the kitchen where Nina and Katherine were, along with the chauffeur whose name I believe is Jeremy.

"Hey Adrian," Nina says to me. Both Katherine and Jeremy wave at me.

"Hey guys," I say as I sit on one of the stools. "What are you guys up to?" I ask them. I'm not the best at starting conversations, I'm kind of awkward if I'm being honest but I try my best.

"I'm cooking dinner," Katherine replies. "They're just here watching me," Katherine adds. I turn to look at Nina and she shoots a smile at me. I awkwardly smile back at her and fiddle with my sleeves."Did Hope go to sleep?" Katherine asks me.

"I'm not sure," I reply. "I just saw her go up to her room and I heard her lock the door," I explain.

"Oh," Katherine sighs. "Are you guys hungry?" Katherine asks. "The food's ready," she adds. We all nod and we help her set our table. Then we help her set the dining table where Mr. Ashford, Mrs. Pierce, and Hope eat.

"Nina please call Mr. Ashford and Mrs. Pierce down for dinner," Katherine says. "Oh and, Adrian is it?" she asks. I nod in response. "Can you go check up on Hope real quick?" Katherine asks.

"Yeah," I reply as I get up. I walk upstairs and head to Hope's room. I knock twice. No response. I knock twice again.

"Who is it?" Hope asks.

"Me," I reply. I hear her groan. Damn, she really doesn't like me.

"What do you want Newman?" Hope asks in annoyance from behind the door.

"Just checking up on you, and letting you know that dinner's ready," I reply.

"Isn't Nina supposed to be the one to do that?" Hope asks.

"I mean, does it really matter?" I ask in return. "What's your problem with me?" I ask her. "Genuinely, like what did I do that makes you dislike me this much?" I ask again. The door opens revealing Hope.

"You didn't do anything, I'll give you that," Hope says. "But I don't want to be babysat when I'm eighteen years old," Hope explains.

"I'm not babysitting you, I'm just making sure your okay," I reply. "That's what your parents hired me for," I add.

"That's the fucking definition of babysitting," Hope says as she angrily walks past me hitting my shoulder with hers. I inhale and run my hair in anger trying not to snap back.

"Just relax," I whisper to myself as I walk to my room. I shut the door and lean against the wall. "I'm doing this for Sophia," I remind myself and sigh. But man I can't stand Hope, she's so rude for no fucking reason it even feels personal. I know she'd be doing the same thing to anyone else that could've been hired in my place but still. What's so bad about having a bodyguard? At least you'll be safe. God I don't know how her friends stand her.

I walk out of my room and start walking back to the kitchen. The workers are already eating and there's just one empty seat which is mine. I sit down and silently eat as everyone else talks.

My mind wanders back to Zoey for some reason, and how much I hated her when she told me that she didn't have any feelings for me. See that wasn't the problem, the problem was that she dated me, making me think that she did have those feelings for me. Then broke up with me on our one year anniversary. She tried to make up excuses like 'I didn't want to hurt you' or 'I thought it could've worked out.' Maybe I over hated her, but I know I hated Brenda so much more. Why do I always get bad luck when it comes to love?

I see so many happy couples and I'm happy for them of course but my trust issues decide to evade and think 'What if one of them's cheating?' or 'What if one of them isn't actually in love and is just pretending to?' It's weird but I can't help it. I wonder if I'll ever meet a girl who will genuinely love me, the way I'd love her. At this point, that's impossible to find.