𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Adrian Newman

I woke up extra early so I could make it to The Ashford's place on time. Sophia hasn't talked to me since yesterday. I feel guilty because I know that Sophia still loves our mom but all I'm trying to do is keep her safe. I just want what's best for her.

"Morning Adrian," I hear from behind me. I turn around to see Hope.

"Good morning Hope," I reply. "You're up quite early," I point out.

"Well, I have somewhere important to be today and it's in a few hours," Hope explains.

"May I know what the special occasion is?" I ask.

"My friend's getting married soon," Hope answers. Oh. What a coincidence. "And she's going to pick out her dress today, so she invited me and a few of her friends. I suppose she wants our opinion or something," Hope adds.

"When are we going?" I ask.

"She told me she'll be there at eleven so we'll go a few minutes early," Hope replies. I nod and look at the ground. "You okay?" Hope asks.

"Yeah, I'm just kind of tired," I lie.

"Did you not sleep well?" Hope questions.

"No I did, I'm just tired for some reason but don't worry I'll be fine," I say.

"You should take a nap," Hope suggests. I shake my head no. "Why not? If you're tired then you should get some sleep, even if it's just an hour or two."

"I'm working so I can't," I state. "Wouldn't wanna take my eyes off of you." Hope tilts her head in confusion. "What if you run off while I'm asleep hm?" I ask.

"I won't," Hope protests. I raise my eyebrows at her. "Okay, I'll admit that I probably would have done that when we first met but you can stop worrying, I won't run off if you take a nap. You clearly need it."

"Hope, I'm fine," I assure. I'm not sleepy, I'm still upset over yesterday's fight with Sophia but it's not like I'm gonna tell Hope. I don't know what other excuse to make.

"We're almost there Miss," Jeremy announces. Hope nods her head, but her phone has her full attention. Jeremy continues to drive for about five minutes or so. He finally parks in front of a Bridal Shop. Hope and I get out of the car and make our way to the front.

"Where's your friend?" I ask her.

"Well," Hope looks around. "She should be here any minute. She told me she'd get here at eleven," Hope peeks inside the store. "Oh wait! She's already there!"
Hope walks inside and I follow her.

"Hope! Hi!" My heart stops. My ears start ringing loudly. I feel a knot in my stomach. My jaw clenches. She's Hope's friend. Her eyes meet mine and her smile immediately fades. "Hope—"

"Oh look! This is my bodyguard; Adrian," Hope says.

"Nice to meet you, Adrian," Brenda doesn't break eye contact but I look away from her and stare at the ground. "I'm gonna go try on my first dress. Hope, go sit with my friends."

I hate this already, and it's not like I can just leave. Why did Brenda have to be Hope's friend? Out of everyone? I mean, they do live in the same city and both of their families are wealthy but I could never imagine Hope being friends with Brenda. Hope isn't like her. At least I don't think so.

"Adrian," I turn to look at Hope. "You good?" Hope asks. I nod my head. "You look like you just saw the devil or something." Oh, I did.

"I'm fine," I lie.

Seeing Brenda made all those horrible memories come back, the ones that I thought were forgotten. The ones that I don't want to remember. Like when she told me she loved me and I believed it like an idiot. Or when she promised me several times that she'd face her parents and tell them about us but never did. All the things that were in the back of my head. She put me through fucking hell.

"Are you sure?" Hope says.

"Can you stop asking?!" I snap. She stares at me for a second before walking over to where the other girls are. Oh, God. I didn't mean to be rude, it's just not my day today. That's no excuse but I was so mad about Brenda and I took it out on Hope. "I'll wait outside," I say to Hope. She doesn't respond but simply nods her head without looking at me.

I walk out of the shop and wait outside, I don't take my eyes off of Hope. I feel bad for lashing out at her but I'm just overwhelmed with what happened yesterday and now this?

An hour goes by and Hope walks out. "We're leaving," Hope says flatly. I follow her inside the car and she doesn't say anything after that. I don't know how to apologize to her without sounding like an idiot. Fuck.