𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Narrator

Hope sits at the dinner table. Mr. Ashford is already seated with Mrs. Pierce. They eat silently for a few minutes before Mr. Ashford speaks. "How are you and Newman getting along?" Mr. Ash-ford asks Hope. 'This is my chance' Hope thinks to herself.

"Not that good," Hope sighs. "Can we actually like talk about this without you guys yelling at me?" Hope asks. Adrian stands outside of the dining room, listening. Both Mr. Ashford and Mrs. Pierce nod. "I'm eighteen years old I can take care of myself and if you guys want I'll take one gap year instead of two, I'll be more careful when I go out but please I don't want a bodyguard," Hope whines.

"Hope, what's the problem with Newman?" Mr. Ash-ford asks. "He seems to be doing his job pretty well," Mr. Ashford states. Hope rolls her eyes and sighs angrily. "We just want to keep you safe," Mr. Ashford says. "Is there a problem with that?"

"No," Hope replies. "It's just, I don't need an entire bodyguard to be safe, I can keep my location on and Jeremy can drive me to wherever I need to go," Hope explains.

"Hope—" Mr. Ashford gets cut off.

"Besides Newman is almost my age, he probably doesn't have much experience!" Hope adds. Adrian purses his lips.

"He's been doing this for almost two years Hope, I'm sure he's well experienced," Mr. Ashford. "Besides there's nothing wrong with having a bodyguard," he adds. "When will you understand that it's just to keep you safe?"

"And when will you understand that I'm a legal adult!?" Hope snaps.

"Yes you're a legal adult, a legal adult who still depends on her parents, a legal adult that still lives under her parents roof, uses their money and doesn't go to college," Mrs. Pierce snaps back. The room goes silent. "As long as you depend on us, you'll do as we say got it?" Hope stares at her and then nods.

No one spoke again during dinner. As soon as Hope finishes eating, she storms out of the dining room, and Adrian pulls her into the employee's hall.

"What the fuck!?" Hope shrieks as she shoves Adrian off of her.

"Why the hell are you trying to get me fired?" Adrian asks her angrily.

"You nosey son of a bitch," Hope says. "And do I really need to explain myself?" Hope asks. "I don't need a bodyguard, I'm eighteen years old and I'm capable of taking care of myself," Hope explains. "Besides, you can easily get another job I don't get why you're taking it so personally."

"Listen Hope, getting a job isn't as easy as you think it is," Adrian replies. "Maybe because you've always had everything handed to you your entire life," Adrian scoffs. "You've probably never worked a single day in your entire life and I can put my money on that," Adrian states. Hope stares at him with rage in her eyes. "Not everyone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth like you, and I'm not losing my job because of your little tantrums," Adrian says before walking off. Hope angrily storms up to her room and slams the door shut.

"I hate him!" Hope shouts as she throws one of her pillows to the floor. "I hate him so much!" Hope flops onto her bed angrily.

"I can't fucking stand her," Adrian says as he shuts the door. "I can't stand her," Adrian repeats as he sits on his bed.

Hope stares at the wall before grabbing her phone to call April.

"Hello?" April asks.

"April, I'm so done with my bodyguard, this is the second time he talks to me like I'm no one," Hope rants. "Like hello? If it weren't for me he wouldn't even have this job!"

"What'd he say to you?" April asks.

"He said 'You probably have never worked a day in your life and I can put money on that' like what!?" Hope sighs in frustration. "April, I fucking hate him."

"Hope he wasn't lying," April remarks.

"He's still an asshole," Hope says. "Who does he think he is talking to me like that?"

"Wait so what'd she say about you to her parents?" Sophia asks Adrian through the phone.

"She was like 'Newman's almost my age he probably doesn't have experience' like are you kidding me!?" Adrian rants. "Sophia, I can't stand her."

"Maybe you've misunderstood him, maybe he really needs the job?" April points out.

"He should've thought about that before insulting me," Hope replies.

"I mean, try to understand her maybe she's just having a hard time adjusting but she'll get used to having you as her bodyguard," Sophia remarked.

"She's determined to get me fired," Adrian says. "Oh but she's absolutely crazy if she thinks I'm going to lose my job because of her," Adrian states.

Hope and Adrian ranting about each other went back and forth for about an hour or so. Adrian eventually stopped. Now Hope on the other hand.

"Dude what if I sneak out to scare Adrian?" Hope asks April. "It'd be so funny," Hope says.

"Hope give it a rest, the poor guy's just trying to do his job," April replies. "Besides, what's wrong with having a bodyguard anyway?" April asks.

"There's nothing wrong with it, it's just I don't want one April," Hope explains. "I don't need one, I can look out for myself," she adds. "He's always following me around."

"Because that's his job..." April states. "Listen, two years, you can handle having a bodyguard for two years," April says. "Then we're off to college and you won't see him ever again," April states. "Just try getting along with him because if you two argue all the time it'll be harder for the both of you."