𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Adrian Newman

"What is it, Leah?" I ask. "Remember I don't have a lot of time to talk over the phone, I can't deal with personal things during work hours," I whisper.

"This is just really important," Leah explains. The tone in her voice is kind of weird, almost like she's panicking.

"Did something happen to Sophia?" I question.

"No, not exactly," Leah replies. "Your mom came to look for Sophia." What the fuck? "But don't worry I didn't let her," Leah adds.

"Tomorrow's my day off, I'm putting a restraining order against her," I state.

"Adrian..." Leah trails off. I hear her let out a sad sigh. "Sophia yelled at me for not letting her mom see her."

"Why would Sophia want to see her?" I demand. "After all the shit she put us through?"

"Adrian, it's her mom," Leah points out. "Despite everything that she's done, she's still her mom and Sophia still cares for her," Leah implies.

That's fucking ridiculous. Everything that our mom has done, has only caused harm. Nothing good can come from her. How could my mom know Sophia was staying with Leah? Has she been stalking us?

"Tomorrow I'll talk to Sophia and try to knock some sense into her," I groan in anger. "Thanks for letting me know, I'll see you tomorrow," I say.

"Okay, take care," Leah replies.

"You too," I hang up and put my phone back in my pocket. I didn't think she would try to get back into our lives. Well not mine, Sophias. My mom could really care less about me but I guess she has some love for Sophia. Maybe if she would've been a good mom, things would be different. Shit, everything would be different.

I understand that she ruined her teenage years and regrets it, but how the fuck is that my fault? I didn't ask for her to be my mom. I would've happily taken any other mother that wasn't her. She can't try and get in contact with Sophia, I have full custody. I'm putting a restraining order on her even if Sophia hates me for it. She'll understand when she's older and sees things the way I do.

"Newman," I turn around. "Where's Hope?" Mrs.Pierce asks. Shit, I can't even look at her the same after what Hope told me about her. Poor Mr.Ashford.

"Her room," I reply. She walks past me and makes her way upstairs. I follow her without her noticing. I don't plan on eavesdropping, but I just wanna be near Hope in case she needs something. It's not gonna be easy to talk to her mom after what she witnessed.

I'm aware that I was hired to be Hope's bodyguard and not her therapist but I feel sorry for her. Especially because of my situation with my mom. It's not just about Hope witnessing her mom cheating, but I heard the way her mom talks to her. For example, at the party when she commented on how Hope looked "bad" in the dress she was wearing.

After a couple of minutes, Mrs.Pierce walked out. Luckily she didn't see me. I wonder if Hope was able to talk to her calmly. I walk towards Hope's room and knock twice.

"Who is it?" she calls from behind the door.

"Me," I reply. The door opens revealing Hope, she shoots me a small smile. "Are you okay? I just saw your mom walk in and I—"

"I'm okay Adrian," Hope cuts me off. "I was able to control myself and not scream at her if that's what you're asking," Hope says, not looking up at me and simply staring at the ground.

"No, what I'm asking is if you're feeling okay," I explain. She sighs and drops her shoulders. "It's okay to not feel okay Hope," I say. She looks up at me.

"I don't know what to do Adrian, I feel so shitty right now," Hope says. Adrian. She called me Adrian. For some reason I liked it. She always calls me Newman and for once she calls me by my name.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what to do to help," I say. I really don't know what to do, I'd hug her but that wouldn't be very professional. I mean, I haven't been professional lately by involving myself in her personal life but I'm still trying to keep my distance.

"Don't worry, you've done more than enough by listening to my rants," Hope chuckles, I smile and shake my head. "Seriously, I was a complete bitch to you and you..." Hope trails off. I nod urging her to go on. "You listened to me and hardly anyone does that," Hope says.

"I know we started off on the wrong foot but maybe we can be friends," I suggest.

"Yeah, I'd like that," Hope replies. "It's better than us fighting every day," Hope adds. I laugh and nod. "Well uh, I'm going to sleep Adrian," Hope remarks.

"Goodnight Hope," I say.

"Goodnight Adrian," Hope smiles at me before closing the door.