𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

Hope Ashford

"I heard your ex Nicolas is finally coming back from Europe," April says. "Wasn't he the only boyfriend who you actually liked?" April asks.

"I guess," I reply. Nicolas and I dated for two years. It was a stupid freshman relationship. I actually liked him though, that's true. He was really sweet and honestly the only boy who liked me for me. Unfortunately, he had to leave. If I'm honest, maybe I liked him more like a friend but there was something there I suppose.

I zone off, remembering yesterday. When I was in Adrian's arms for the first time. I felt so safe and secure. It made me happy, the way he opened up to me. Of course, I believe him. Yeah, Brenda's my friend but Adrian wouldn't lie to me about something like that. Besides, he seemed genuine when he was telling me everything. My heart hurt for him while he was telling me about what happened, even though I've never experienced heartbreak.

Fingers snap in my face, bringing me back to reality. I blink twice and look at April. "Hello?" April waves her hand in my face. "I'm trying to talk to you."

"I'm sorry, I zoned out," I apologize. "What were you saying?" I ask.

"That you should invite Nicolas over and maybe bond with him again," April suggests. "Who knows," April takes a sip of her water. "Maybe the spark is still there," April smirks and shrugs her shoulders.

"April, that was so long ago," I say. "Besides, I don't see him that way anymore but I would definitely want to get our friendship back."

After I hung out with April for like three hours, she had to leave. It's Adrian's day off so I'm supposed to stay home all day. It's so boring without him, but he has his life too. Now that I think about it, Adrian knows so much about me but I hardly know anything about him. Well, he did open up to me about his unfortunate love experiences but I don't know anything about his family or how he lives.

What are his parents like? Does he have any siblings? What are they like? Are they like him? I want to get to know him more. I want to know what his family looks like. I'm curious now. Very curious. God, I'm so nosy.

"Hope!" I hear my mom call from inside. I groan in annoyance as I stand up and get inside. "Big news! Nicolas is coming back in two weeks!" she exclaims.

"I know," I reply. "April told me."

"Are you not excited?" she asks. "Nicolas was the best boyfriend you had, I adored him." Why don't you date him then? "I invited his family for dinner when they come back. You don't mind right?" I shake my head no in response. "Good."

I awkwardly start making my way to the kitchen. I don't really go to the kitchen often but I'm craving fruit. I stop walking when I hear my name being mentioned.

"Don't you agree?" I hear Nina speak. "Adrian's been acting weird with Hope," Nina says. I furrow my brows and place my ear against the door.

"What are you talking about?" Katherine asks.

"He defends her even though she was a complete bitch to him when he first started working!" Who the hell does she think she is? Calling me a bitch. "What if he likes her?" Nina asks in a whiny tone.

"Don't be ridiculous Nina," Katherine snaps. "You have a big mouth you know? And you could get fired if you don't shut it!" I slowly start walking up to my room. 'What if he likes her?' Does it seem like he likes me? It's not until I get to my room that I notice the stupid smile on my face.

I look at the time. It's only four pm. Now that I realize it, I don't have Adrian's phone number but I know who does. My dad, and it has to be somewhere in his office. It should be in plain sight too, especially because he's my bodyguard.

My dad's at the agency and my mom's probably sleeping or watching tv so I won't get caught. At least I'm praying I won't get caught.

I get out of my room and start walking toward my dad's office, with my phone in my hand. No one's insight. I jog to his office and get inside as fast as I can.

I scan everything. There's a messy pile of papers on his desk. A blue agenda catches my eye. I sit on my dad's chair and I start flipping through the agenda. Random names I don't know, work numbers, important dates, and finally Adrian Newman. I take a quick picture of the page and put the agenda back where it was.

I look around, but still no one in sight. I walk out of my dad's office. "Hope." I jump and slightly squeal out of fright. I sigh as I turn around to face my mom.

"Yes?" I flash an innocent smile at her.

"Stella invited me to her house." Thank God. She didn't see me. "You're coming with me," she orders. Stella? Stella. As in, LEO'S MOTHER. No, no, no, no. I cannot see Leo. Him and I didn't exactly break up on good terms.

"May I please stay?" I ask.

"You may not," my mom replies. I groan and roll my eyes. "Watch the attitude Hope, now go change into something Leo may like," she orders. My mouth opens in shock.

"Are you trying to pass me around?" I scoff. "First you're all 'Nicolas is coming back aren't you excited?' and now you're telling me to wear something Leo will like? I'm dressing however I want, I could care less if Leo likes it or not. When will you understand that Leo and I are completely over!?"

"Leo was an amazing boyfriend, but if you prefer Nicolas I won't mind," she says. I angrily walk up to my room. I don't want Leo or Nicolas. Yeah, Nicolas is sweet and an amazing guy but I don't see him that way. He's more like a brother to me. Now I have to get ready for this stupid thing.

I look through my wardrobe and pick out a basic baby blue dress. That should do. I don't put a lot of effort into my hair, I'm not trying to make it seem like I "got all pretty" for Leo.

Might as well get this over with.