𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

Hope Ashford

- A Month Later -

Adrian and I have sort of been awkward this entire month. We speak normally but it hasn't exactly been the same since that night. I've been wanting to ask Brenda what happened between them but I don't think that's right. After all, she's getting married today. I'd rather not make her uncomfortable with that topic.

I've tried to convince Adrian to not go but he's so insistent on going so he can keep me safe even though I'm going with my parents. I assured him multiple times that I'll be fine but he's just so stubborn so whatever I guess. He also offered to drive us there since it's Jeremy's day off.

"Fuck," I mutter as I try reaching for the zipper. I finally reach for it but only manage to zip it halfway. Luckily, Nina walks in. "Nina, can you help me?" I ask. She nods and walks over to me. Speaking of Nina, she's been acting kind of weird. I think she rolled her eyes at me the other day, and I wasn't doing anything. Whatever, maybe I didn't see things right. Nina zips up my dress. "Thank you," I say. Nina walks out of my room without responding.

I walk over to the mirror and look at my reflection. I pulled my phone out to FaceTime April and ask her how I look, but I stop myself.

'You think I would lie to you? You don't have to change but next time you want a good opinion on how something looks on you, come to me instead of April.' That stupid memory.

I take a look at my dress. It's a pretty shade of red. It's a little above knee length and it compliments my body. I'm not letting my cheating-of-a-mother make me feel like shit over my dress today.

I fix my hair before walking out of my room and making my way downstairs. "I'm ready," I announce. Adrian looks up from his phone. He looks at me in a way that sends a shiver down my spine. "Staring is rude Newman," I tease.

"You look nice," Adrian compliments.

"Thank you," I say, trying my hardest not to smile but I can already feel my face heating up. Why did I get that nervous? What do I do? I fake smile before walking to the living room where my parents are.

I haven't told my dad about my mom yet. About her cheating on him. I haven't found the courage and I feel like a coward. The guilt is eating me up.

"Ready?" my dad asks. I nod my head. I feel my mom staring at my dress. I can already hear her criticism. I'll try not to care if she comments on my dress. I shouldn't care.

"You can leave if you want," I say to Adrian for the one-millionth time. He chuckles and shakes his head.

"Hope, I'm fine. I'm completely over her," Adrian assures. I sigh in relief, hearing that made me happy. Should it have? Probably not but it did. It felt like some sort of relief, which is weird.

"Okay, I believe you," I say. I walk over to my seat. Brenda's having an outdoor wedding, and everything is decorated so nicely. The other day, I heard that her soon-to-be husband is loaded.

After a few seconds of waiting, the "Here Comes the Bride" music started playing. Everyone stood up as we watched Brenda walk down the aisle while holding onto her dad's arm. I don't know if I'm reaching out or something but the last emotion on Brenda's face is excitement or enthusiasm. Not even happiness. Her expression is blank.

She gives her fiancé a weak smile before turning to the priest. Everyone took a seat as the priest started giving a lecture. I turned around to look at Adrian who was standing in the back. He's having a conversation with a little boy who looks to be around the age of five. I smile as I watch him in awe. What the fuck? I turn my gaze away from Adrian to look at Brenda and Henry.

"Henry Smith, do you take Brenda Williams to be your wife, to live together in holy matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" The Priest asks Henry.

"I do."

"Brenda Williams, do you take Henry Smith to be your husband, to live together in holy matrimony, to love him, to honor him, to comfort him, and to keep him in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" The Priest asks Brenda.

Brenda stays silent. "I..." she trails off. She's hesitant. "I don't," Brenda states. Everyone lets out a loud gasp, including me. "I'm so sorry Henry, I can't marry you."
Oh my. I'm so confused.

"And you're telling me this now!?" Henry shouts. "In front of all these people!" Henry points at the crowd. This is getting uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry," Brenda apologizes.

"Return the dress so I can get my money back as soon as possible," Henry says before walking off. My eyes widen. Everyone just sort of sits there awkwardly and uncomfortably. Brenda stands there not knowing what to do. What did I just witness? Oh my.