𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

Adrian Newman

I honestly don't know how to react. I feel bad for the groom, who I think is named Henry. I look over at Hope who's just sitting there, looking uncomfortable. I don't know if I should approach her and ask her if she wants to leave. I watch as more people start to leave and Hope finally starts walking towards the exit along with her parents.

"We're leaving Newman," Mr.Ashford says to me. I nod and head towards the car. I open the car door for them and I get in the driver's seat.

"I cannot believe she embarrassed Henry like that, poor boy," Mrs.Pierce comments."Why didn't she break it off the day before the wedding? This is ridiculous. Just ridiculous."

"I mean if you think about it," Hope starts. "Maybe she just realized she was making a mistake by marrying him. Maybe it wasn't her intention to embarrass him in front of all those people."

"Of course, you say that," Mrs.Pierce states.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Hope demands.

"You hop from boy to boy!" Mrs.Pierce snaps. "You're just like Brenda and that's why you're defending her." You're just like Brenda. You're just like Brenda. You're JUST like BRENDA. It keeps on replaying in my head. Could that be true? No, it can't be true. With all due respect, Hope's mom's opinion isn't valid here when she's a cheater herself.

Hope is nothing like Brenda. She can't be and she's not. Just because they're friends doesn't mean that Hope could possibly be like her. Even if she was, it shouldn't even concern me. So why the fuck am I making such a big deal out of it?

"Oh yeah, you're one to talk," Hope scoffs.

"What?" Mr.Ashford asks. Hope and I make eye contact through the rearview mirror. Her eyes are full of regret. "What did you mean by that Hope?" Mr.Ashford asks once again.

"Nothing," Hope lies. She makes eye contact with me through the rearview mirror with me once again.

"Are you glad that Brenda didn't end up getting married?" Hope asks. I furrow my brows in confusion. "You might have a chance with her again."

"No Hope, married or not, I don't care about her anymore," I assure. "I couldn't take her back, I wouldn't take her back."

"Did she hurt you?" The doorbell rings, saving me. "I'll get it," Hope says as she gets up and walks towards the door. She opens it revealing— you've got to be kidding. "Brenda, hi!" Hope gives Brenda a tight hug. I look away from them but I can feel Brenda's eyes on me.

"I'm literally devastated, I embarrassed myself in front of a lot of people!" Brenda exclaims. "Not only myself but Henry, God I feel awful."

I walk towards the kitchen and for once, it's empty. I sigh in relief as I sit on a stool. I don't mind Katherine or Jeremy but sometimes I just prefer being alone. I don't mind Nina either, she just acts a little weird sometimes.

I sit there waiting for Brenda to leave but I'm not gonna go peek every five minutes just to see if she's gone. She'll most likely stay for a while so I guess I'll just wait in the kitchen.

I sit there for twenty minutes, but I can still hear Hope and Brenda talking from a distance. I sigh as I stand up and walk out of the kitchen from the back door which leads to the garden. I walk around the garden until I get to the back pool. An empty pool. I've never seen it before.

"Wow, it's still empty," I hear behind me. I try to walk away but she gets a grip on my arm. "Can you wait?"

"Does Hope need something?" I ask.

"We need to talk," Brenda says. The fucking nerve she has. I don't want to talk to her. "Listen, the reason I couldn't marry Henry is because seeing you again brought back so many of my feelings for you."

"I don't remember asking for an explanation," I state as calmly as I can.

"I know you still love me, Adrian," Brenda says. "Or tell me otherwise." I've honestly had enough of her bullshit.

"I don't feel anything towards you Brenda, I don't know why you have the nerve to talk to me after what happened," I snap. "You don't mean anything to me anymore, so please let me live in fucking peace."

"Oh, I know what you're doing," Brenda mutters.

"And, what am I doing according to you?" I ask.

"You have a thing for Hope don't you?" Brenda asks. What the hell? Where the fuck did she get that from? "Since you couldn't have me and your high ego won't take me back," I scoff at what she's saying. "You're settling for Hope, but let me tell you something," she points her finger at me. "Hope won't take you seriously, she has played guys who literally shit money and you think she'll commit to you?"

"Thanks for the unasked for and unneeded advice, but I don't get emotionally involved with my clients anymore," I state. "Learned my lesson from you."

"I left Henry for you, I'm what everyone's talking about right now, and you won't take me back because I made a mistake once that I clearly regret!?" Brenda demands.

"I didn't ask you to leave Henry for me," I reply. "And whether you believe it or not, I don't love you anymore," I say bluntly. "So go back to Henry, maybe you're not too late and he'll forgive you."

She looks at me with pure anger, the same anger I had when she humiliated me with no remorse, but this is different. Very different. She turns her back on me and storms off.

Brenda couldn't possibly think I was gonna take her back. Even if I did still love her, I know I wouldn't take her back, but I don't anymore so that makes it a lot less likely.