𝐓𝐄𝐍

Adrian Newman

"Have you had any other jobs besides being a bodyguard?" Jayla asks me. Jayla has been talking to me the whole time, I'm not necessarily uncomfortable but I don't want to talk to her. Why is she even talking to me when her friends are over there?

"I mean yeah," I reply. "I used to work at an shoe store," I state.

"Wow that's amazing," Jayla says. I don't think working there was amazing. I had to deal with really mean clients, kinda like Hope I suppose. I just nod in agreement. She's been trying to flirt with me for the past hour, I don't know how to stop her.

"If Hope's parents fire you, my parents can hire you to take care of me," Jayla states. I don't know what to say back so I just awkwardly smile and look at Hope. She's talking with April and a guy who looks around her age.

I think Jayla finally took a hint because she walked over to where April and Hope were sitting. I sigh in relief as I just stand there, six feet away from Hope just watching her and making sure she's okay. My phone starts ringing so I take it out and answer.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Adrian, when's your day off?" Leah asks.

"I have Thursdays and Sundays off," I reply. "Why?"

"Sophia wants you to take her to the movies," Leah says. "I told her I could go with her but she really wants you to come too," she adds. I smile.

"I'll take you and Sophia to the movies on Sunday once I get my paycheck," I assure.

"I'll let her know," Leah says. "But tell me, how are you liking your job so far?" Leah asks me.

"It's alright," I reply. "But I'm pretty sure my client hates me so that's that."

"Yeah I heard you ranting to Sophia last night," Leah laughs. "I can't fucking stand her!" Leah mocks. I chuckle and shake my head.

"Fuck you," I say in between my laughs. "I'll talk to you later, I'm still working," I remind her.

"Right, take care," Leah says.

"You too," I reply before hanging up. I look over at Hope, the boy she was talking with now has his arm around her. Seems like she moved on from that Leo guy pretty quickly.

I stand there for another couple of minutes and just look around, still paying attention to Hope.

"Come on just one," the guy says as he grabs Hope's wrist. Hope pulls her wrist out of his grip and walks behind April.

"Tell your brother to chill the fuck out," Hope says to April. "Caleb I don't fucking like you and I certainly won't kiss you," Hope adds.

"It's just a dare Hope stop being a pussy," Jayla spits.

"Then you kiss him," Hope shoves Jayla towards April's brother. "I'm sorry April but I'd puke if I had to kiss your brother."

"Hope just one," April's brother pleads. "It's just for the fun of the game." I don't know whether to step in or not. He's not physically on her but I feel like I should step in for some reason.

"She said no," I say as I walk towards them. "Did you not hear her?" I ask him.

"Chill, it's a dare I'm not sexually assaulting her," Caleb scoffs.

"Newman let's just go I don't wanna be here anymore," Hope says as she gets up.

"No stay," April says. "Caleb won't bother you anymore I promise," April assures.

"Let's just go," Hope says to me. I nod and we start walking back to where the car is. We both get inside the backseat.

"Where to Miss?" Jeremy asks.

"The agency," Hope replies. Jeremy nods his head.

Hope Ashford

I lean back in my seat as Jeremy starts to drive. I'm seriously pissed. Why didn't April tell Caleb to leave me alone when he was trying to kiss me?

I got fifteen messages from April, five from Jayla, and three from Caleb. April's were apologies, Jayla was calling me over dramatic and telling me to come back, Caleb's were apologies as well.

The only reason Jayla wants me to go back, is because of Newman. She's like obsessed with him, why? He's just like any other average dude. She'll get over her obsession soon enough like she does with every guy she meets.

"That friend of yours is interesting," Newman says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Which one? Jayla?" I ask.

"No," Newman chuckles. "I think his name is Caleb," Newman states.

"He's not my friend, I only deal with him because he's my best friend's brother," I reply. Why am I even explaining that to him? "Do you find Jayla interesting?" I ask jokingly.

"No," he replies bluntly.

"Okay then," I reply and look away from him.

Once we finally arrive at the agency, I get out of the car and Newman walks behind me. Sometimes I just go to the agency to hangout with my dad or say hi to him.

I walk up to Kaylee's desk. Kaylee is my dad's personal assistant.

"Hey Kaylee, is my dad here?" I ask her.

"No Miss, he went out for lunch a few minutes ago, but I think your mother is here," Kaylee replies.

"Okay, I'm gonna go say hi to my mom," I reply. Kaylee nods and gets back to work. "I can walk to my mom's office on my own, you can stay here," I say to Newman.

"Fine," he replies.

I make my way to my mom's office. I look through the window to check if my mom's there. The blinds aren't fully open but I can get a good view of my mom's office.

My eyes widen in horror as I see my mom on top of another man, and that man certainly isn't my dad. I want to burst inside and scream at her, but I don't. Instead I walk back to the front trying my absolute best not to cry.

"We're leaving Newman," I say as I make my way towards the elevator. Newman follows behind me and I don't make eye contact with him as we get on the elevator. I inhale quietly and look up trying to prevent the tears that are starting to form in my eyes.

"You okay?" Newman asks me. I close my eyes and nod. "You sure?" he asks again. I simply nod again,
I don't feel like snapping at him right now.