𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

Narrator

"Miss!" Nina calls from outside Hope's room. Nina is the Ashford's most trusted maid. She's only nineteen years old, she was kicked out of her house when she got pregnant at fourteen.

Unfortunately she lost her child but her parents still wouldn't let her live with them after that, so she works for the Ashford's who have been good to her.

Hope stretches and groans as she flutters her eyes open.

"Your father needs to see you," Nina informs before making her way downstairs. Hope sighs in annoyance as she gets up and walks to her bathroom to get ready.

"Oh my gosh tomorrow is my party," Hope reminds herself as she slips a clean shirt on.

Once she's done getting ready, she gets out of her bathroom and looks at her purple dress that's hung up in her closet. She  walks downstairs and sees Nina standing there watering the indoor plants. "Where's my father?" Hope asks her.

"He's waiting for you in his office," Nina replies. Hope nods and starts walking to her dad's work office. She walks in and sees her dad talking with a man. A very young looking man.

"Nina said you were looking for me," Hope says to her father. Both the man and Mr. Ashford stand up when they see Hope.

"Yes, I want you to meet Adrian Newman," Mr. Ash-ford says. Hope waves at Adrian with a confused look on her face. Adrian slightly smiles and waves back. "Your bodyguard," Mr. Ashford adds.

Hope's mood immediately changes. "Wait a minute, what?" Hope awkwardly laughs. This has to be a joke, Hope thinks to herself. "You were being serious?" Mr. Ashford nods slowly. "I'm eighteen I can take care of myself!" Hope snaps at her dad.

"Remember what happened the night before your graduation," Mr. Ashford reminded her. "While you live under my roof, you live under my rules end of discussion," Mr. Ashford states. Hope scoffs before storming out of her dad's office.

"I'm sorry about that Adrian," Mr. Ashford says. "She'll get used to having a bodyguard."

"Don't worry about it, it's fine," Adrian assures.

"Let's just set the main rule quickly," Mr. Ashford says. Adrian nods and listens closely. "Hope cannot go anywhere near lakes, pools, the ocean, or rivers, especially rivers. She has trauma from that and can't swim," Mr. Ashford explains.

"Got it," Adrian says.

"Don't ever let her go anywhere alone, as in going out obviously not like following her inside the bath—"

"I understand." Adrian grimaces a little.

"We've already talked about the salary, you have Thursdays and Sundays off, Nina will show you where you'll be sleeping," Mr. Ashford says.

"Okay, thank you so much Mr. Ashford," Adrian replies. "Will Miss Hope stay in on my free days?"

"Yes," Mr. Ashford replies. "Get changed into your uniform and then you can get started,"
Mr. Ashford says.

Whenever Adrian has a job, his sister Sophia stays with his best friend Leah. They're almost like siblings, they care for each other like siblings. Of course she isn't the best friend that he fell in love with many years ago.

Adrian walks out of Mr. Ashford's office. Nina's there waiting for him, her eyes light up when she sees him. She admires him in awe.

"Hey, are you the one who's going to show me where my room is?" Adrian asks.

"Yeah, just follow me," Nina replies while smiling at him.

"Okay, thank you," Adrian says.

Nina leads him to the hallway where the employee's rooms are. She shows him where his is, which is the room right next to hers. Adrian changed into his uniform and walked out of his room. He looked around and finally ran into Hope.

"Oh it's you," Hope says in disgust when she sees him.

"I'm afraid so," Adrian replies. Honestly, Adrian didn't really care if Hope was rude to him. All he cared about was getting money to feed Sophia and give her a decent life and education. Sophia is his priority.

"Let my parents know I'm going out," Hope says as she tries to walk past him.

"Okay, where are we going?" Adrian asks. Hope turns around and raises her eyebrows at him.

"Did you just say we?" Hope asks. Adrian nods in response. "No, I don't think you understand, you're not coming with me."

"Yes I am," Adrian states.

"You do remember that you kinda work for me, so you kinda have to do what I say," Hope snaps at him.

"No I kinda work for your dad and I kinda have to do what he says," Adrian says back with the same sass and a slightly satisfied smirk when he sees the angry look on her face

"And just who the fuck do you think you are?" Hope scoffs. "Listen here..." Hope looks down and reads the name tag on his suit. "Newman, if you don't want me to make your life absolutely miserable then I suggest you listen to what I say," Hope warns.

"Oh God, no, please don't hurt me Miss. Hope," Adrian says mockingly. "Look, I'm shaking." Adrian makes his hand shake as if he's trembling in fear. That only makes anger rise in Hope's chest.

"You won't last long here, and I can put money on that Newman," Hope says confidently.

"Yeah, we'll see about that, Miss. Hope," Adrian mocks. Hope stares of him full of anger and rage.

"You know what? I'm not going out anymore," Hope says angrily. "Screw you." Adrian chuckles as he watches her go up to her room.

"Asshole," Hope mutters as she shuts her door. "Who the fuck does he think he is talking to me like that?" Hope scoffs.

Adrian walks to the kitchen, he sees Nina sweeping the floor while talking to Katherine; the cook. They stop talking the moment Adrian walks in.

"Hey, sorry I didn't mean to interrupt," Adrian apologizes.

"No you're good, we were just talking about..." Nina tries coming up with something to say. "Climate change," Nina lies, because isn't gonna admit that she was just talking about him.

"Uh, all right?" Adrian says not knowing what to respond to that. "Uhm, is Miss Hope mean to everyone here?" Adrian asks out of curiosity.

"She's pretty moody but no, not to us at least," Katherine replies. "She hardly speaks to us," Katherine adds.

"So I suppose she has something personal against me," Adrian says.

"She's used to having freedom and well this is a big change for her," Katherine says. "Don't take it personally she just needs to adjust to having a bodyguard." Adrian nods in agreement.