Chapter 19 - Part 4

It had taken over twenty fours but she now had her chance for answers. Dumbledore's name had finally shown back up on the Marauder's Map after dealing with the rogue student attacks from the day prior. Harry had been released from hospital and was now recuperating on their couch. She'd made an excuse and pulled Ron and Lavender to a corner out of Harry's eyesight.

"I need you to distract Harry so I can sneak out of the common room," she began.

"Why?" Ron asked immediately, an eyebrow raised in suspicion.

"I need to talk to Dumbledore about a possible theory."

"Why can't Harry know?" Lavender asked as she peered over her shoulder where Harry was seated.

"Because if your theory is correct it's really bad, right?" Ron asked. She nodded.

"How bad?"

She felt the moisture pooling in her eyes and cursed her emotions. She'd done so well keeping them in check over the last day. But in this moment...having to say the words out loud...it was too much.

"As bad as it gets," she answered, bowing her head at Ron's stricken expression.

It was Lavender who spoke first. "No."

"Lav we-"

"No hiding," she repeated. "No sneaking out. It's too dangerous." She looked very determined.

"Tell Harry the truth, Hermione," she continued. "Tell him the truth and have McGonagall take you."

Hermione looked to see Ron wearing a sad smile. "Well I'm certainly not going to help you and make Lav angry. Besides, I reckon she's right."

She nodded in resignation and sent a patronus message to her head of house asking for an escort to see the headmaster. The appearance of her silvery otter had caused a stir in the common room and Harry was now looking at her quizzically...waiting for an explanation.

She told him exactly what she had shared with Ron and Lavender and was met with the same questions and the same worried looks. Hermione watched as he pondered her words and absently scratched Crookshanks in the specific spot that always elicited a contented purr.

The tension was broken as the common room door opened and Professor McGonagall appeared, looking very concerned.

"I'll see you soon," Harry answered softly, doing his best to smile despite whatever horrible scenarios were rattling around in his brain.

She nodded her thanks, not trusting her voice at that moment, and quickly left the room.

McGonagall had apparently warned the headmaster as he seemed entirely nonplussed at her entrance, going so far as to have tea waiting for both of his guests.

"I'm assuming you are here for an update on yesterday's incident," he began pleasantly.

She took a breath. "Partially."

Dumbledore paused briefly, clearly taken aback by her cryptic response.

"Mr. Clayhorne and Miss Parkinson are currently being held by the authorities and will both be charged for the use of an Unforgivable. The remaining students involved in the incident have all been expelled and their wands snapped. Based on what we've been able to surmise the plan was to torture you and Harry before obliviating you two and Professor Slughorn. They had anticipated not being detected for sixty minutes which Miss Greengrass was able to foil."

"Mr. Dagworth?"

Dumbledore sighed and removed his glasses. "Mr. Dagworth has been removed from his position at the Ministry and it is yet to be determined what, if anything, he will be charged with."