Chapter 20: The Nest

(Y/n) POV:

I had blacked out briefly in the bedroom. I awoke on the roof as Kelso was strapping in my harness to a rope lowered from the helicopter. Everything hurts and my vision is cloudy when it's not spinning. Gunfire rang out all around me as I was lifted up into the helicopter.

Hoopster: "Hang on Vanguard, we've got you!"

I blacked out again and woke up a few minutes later.

Sutton: "He's bouncing in and out of consciousness! We need to get him to a hospital!"

Kelso: "Hey kid, listen. You've been shot in the back, your plate caught the bullet but it shattered on impact. A small fragment cut your back and you've lost a lot of blood."

(Y/n): "K-kid.... I'm your b-boss..."

Kelso: "That's a major technicality. He's going to be fine."

Greystone: "Exiting A.O.... Shit they've got a lock on us!"

Alarms started blaring inside the helicopter. My body was thrown to the right in the stretcher as the helicopter made a sharp turn to the right. I heard the helicopter's flares shoot off and an explosion rocked the helicopter as the missile exploded close by.

Kelso: "I see the SAM, our 4 o'clock!"

Greystone: "Got it! We're going to ride the tree tops and get out of here!"

I tried to keep my eyes open for as long as possible but my eyelids seemed to be getting constantly heavier. The pain quickly became too much to bear.

Kelso: "Hang on kid, you're doing so good! Don't black out, you've got to stay awake!"

My entire body feels like it's on fire, my head... It hurts so much.

Kelso: "Think of your magician! Stay awake for her! (Y/n)!"

(Y/n): "K-kel.... s-sorry."

Kelso: "(Y/n)!"

Everything hurt so much. I really tried to stay awake, for Zatanna. For everyone that's given me a home, taken me in and helped me. I-I hope I made them proud.

My eyes slowly closed against my will as the pain took over. I tried to stutter out an apology to Kelso and say one last goodbye to Zatanna but I never got the chance.

——————-——————————————————

Zatanna POV:

I woke up late in the morning. I spent the day wandering throughout the cave with Wally and Artemis. Dick, Kaldur and Barbara were working with Batman. Batman spent the time we were at the lodge completing his investigation into who placed the fear toxin into the water line. Apparently the caves security system recorded a person wearing League of Shadows gear planting the device.

(Y/n) still wasn't back yet. I was hoping he would be back before morning. Raquel joined us in walking around the Cave shortly after lunch. Despite this being our home and the only leaguer that regularly spends time here is Red Tornado, I still feel like we are being constantly guarded. Not that I mind, it makes everything seem a whole lot safer, but I do miss the freedom to do whatever we want.

Raquel: "Any of you get the feeling that we are still being treated like kids?"

Wally: "No not really. Why do you think so?"

Raquel: "Well before we went on vacation someone broke into the Cave. They broke into our home. That makes it our fight. We should be running point on this investigation and going after whoever hired the shadows to break in here. I mean we have three extremely capable detectives on the team."