Chapter 58: Sidelined

3rd Person POV: 

Happy Harbour, Mt Justice

Things were looking up for Nightwing's team, despite Artemis being injured and unable to help with training, they have still made significant progress.

Violet has fully cleansed Victor of the Father Boxes influence after a dramatic series of events on Halloween night. That combined with the steady progress made by Forager, Brion and Tara convinced Dick that, with the exception of Victor, they were ready to join the Team.

In the early morning hours Dick assembled his team on the same beach they played games at a few weeks ago and brought everyone breakfast sandwiches.

As the young heroes devoured their breakfast, Dick and Conner took the opportunity to privately catch up and go over their plan.

Conner: "You sure they're ready?"

Dick: "Yep, as ready as they're ever going to be."

Conner: "What about Zatanna, Artemis and (Y/n)?"

Dick: "They finished moving in and unpacking yesterday along with Mary and Traci. (Y/n)'s a little upset about being "sidelined" as he called it, but I promised I'd stop by this afternoon and bring him up to speed on our plans."

Conner smiled as the kids finished their food. Dick sighed and stepped forward, beginning his speech which he had failed to prepare for.

Dick: "Alright, listen up. We've reached a crossroads. Vic, you have your own decisions to make, but Brion, Tara, Violet, Forager, we feel the four of you are ready to work with the Justice League's covert ops team to help mankind."

Conner: "But being a hero isn't for everyone. This is a choice you each have to make for yourself. And the decision you make now doesn't have to be a permanent one."

Dick: "You've already risked your lives for each other and for the meta teens we rescued in Bialya. That's enough."

Brion sat up, straightening his posture on the tree log and keeping his hand on Violet's shoulder.

Brion: "I've made my choice. And Bialya has proven I've made the right one. To protect the innocent, no matter the danger."

Conner: "But facing danger isn't a mandatory part of the mission. Troia of Themyscira and Garth of Atlantis both left the front lines. Now they fight the good fight inside the system as ambassadors to the United Nations."

Dick: "You should also know that there's no shame in leaving this life behind. Both Conner and I know people that tried to move on, we can tell you just how devastating this life can be. That's why we're here, at the ruins of our former headquarters, our former home. A sacrifice made for the greater good."

Conner: "Those of us who have trained you live with the consequences of our actions and our sacrifices. We stand for those who have fallen and we fight for those who can't. That's our choice, but it doesn't have to be yours."

Violet: "And todays the day we are to make this important life decision?"

Dick smiled softly while looking down at the ground. Memories of the cave and the team in the early days rushed through his head. He eventually let out a small sigh before turning his attention back to his team.

Dick: "Todays the day."

————————————————————————

Kandel quietly opened the door to her bedroom and slipped out into the hallway, leaving an exhausted Alani Kelso passed out on her bed under the bedsheets.