Chapter 22: The Aftermath of Victory

(Y/n) POV:

I woke up before Zatanna. We managed to stay perfectly still throughout the night so she was still sleeping on my shoulder. I gently slid out from underneath her and got out of bed. I grabbed Kelso's watch and held it in my hand, just examining it. The orange ring was gone. I've never seen one of our watches without it. It looked and felt different. Cold and dark. Like nothing was left but the hunk of metal in my hand. The person that gave this watch colour, life and personality gone, never to wear it again.

I have no idea how long I stared at the face of the watch but I was brought out of my trance by Zatanna wrapping her arms around me and burying her face into my back.

Zatanna: "Come lay down. Please, it's too early for you to get up."

(Y/n): "Sorry I woke you, what time is it?"

Zatanna: "Way too early."

As Zatanna pulled me back into bed I caught a glimpse of the alarm clock on my nightstand, 5:13. Zatanna climbed on top of me and rested her head on my chest after kissing me.

Zatanna: "You're not allowed to get up until at least 9:30."

(Y/n): "Ok Zee."

I wrapped my arms around Zatanna and held her while we both drifted back to sleep.

I woke up to ISAC's robotic voice telling me I have a call waiting and started cursing at the dumb watch under my breath. Zatanna groaned and rolled off me and lightly laughed at my comedic display of anger.

I picked up the watch and spoke into it.

(Y/n): "Yeah, I'm here."

Black Canary: "Hello (Y/n), how did you sleep?"

(Y/n): "Fine I guess."

Black Canary: "I'll let you get some rest but I want to speak with you today before the funeral."

(Y/n): "Okay, I'll meet you in the library around 9:30."

Black Canary: "Perfect, I'll see you then."

I gently placed my watch back onto my dresser beside Kelso's. The second I saw it the images of Kelso's lifeless body flashed through my head and I froze.

All the sudden I was back in that damned warehouse, standing overtop of Kelso as she lay there bleeding. Keener's laughter echoed throughout my head. I couldn't take my eyes off Kelso, she's dead and it's all my fault.

I squeezed my eyes shut but I still see her, her beaten and bloody face moments before her death. Then the bang. It echoed like nothing I've ever heard before. My head is ringing and I just want it all to stop.

As swiftly as it started I was pulled out by Zatanna's warm embrace. She wrapped her arms around my chest and pulled me back into my bed beside her.

Zatanna: "It's not 9:30, and you should be resting anyway. Canary just wants to make sure you take time to grieve before the pain eats you alive."

(Y/n): "I'll take the next few days off after the funeral, I-I'm not sure of what I need to be doing anyway... How do I go forward? What should I do?"

Zatanna: "I don't have an answer right now, but we will figure it out together."

Zatanna pulled me into a kiss and then pinned me down while continuing to kiss me.

(Y/n): Mh... Zee I'm...Mhmm... going to miss my.... meeting..."

Zatanna: "Mhmm... no... I'll take care of it...Mhmm."

I lost track of time kissing Zatanna. We rolled over and she must have caught a glimpse of the clock because she immediately broke the kiss and pushed me out of bed.