Chapter 74: Lovers on the Run

3rd Person POV:

The storage car shook as the train tumbled down the tracks. Zatanna was cutting the ropes binding her to the chair with the steak knife as fast as she could. Just as she was beginning to make progress, the door slid open.

Brother Night and two of his men stormed in, the guards had their weapons drawn and red magic pooled in Brother Night's hands.

Brother Night: "Your fiancé is close. I can feel the totem getting closer."

The magician grumbled and rolled her eyes, which only caused Brother Night to slap her across the face. His magic stung more than the slap, the red magic jabbing her body and stinging like electricity.

Brother Night: "When you realize what we're doing, you'll show me the proper respect. Or you'll die with the rest of this world."

———————————————————————

(Y/n) pushed Ghost to go as fast as he could, the horse flew down the tracks at an incredible speed.  The former agent could see the train in the distance and watched as it steadily grew closer. Determination gripped the agent as he began to formulate a plan in his head.

Eventually (Y/n) made it alongside the train and had no idea what to do. He had no idea what car Zatanna was in or if she was even still on the train.

He continued alongside the train and hoped for some sort of sign. Suddenly a blast of red magic shot out from the storage car just ahead of his position. The former agent immediately drew his handgun and pushed Ghost to get alongside the new opening. Gunfire rang out and (Y/n) was surprised when he saw one of Brother Night's men fall out of the opening with a steak knife in his chest.

When he managed to get alongside the opening, (Y/n) saw Zatanna fighting off two of Brother Night's men. She spun around, her red dress twirling in the air as she kicked a man in the gut and sent him crumbling to the ground.

(Y/n) had to force himself not to stare as Zatanna punched the second man across the jaw.

The former agent snapped out of his starstruck state and took aim at Brother Night, firing several shots into the man and sending him crashing to the ground.

Zatanna spun around and saw (Y/n), a smile instantly forming on her face as the wind blew her dress and hair.

Without warning she jumped off the train, scaring (Y/n) half to death and just barely grabbing onto him. (Y/n) gripped Zatanna as tightly as he could and hauled her up onto the saddle.

She quickly squirmed out of his hold and managed to swing herself around to (Y/n)'s back, plopping down and wrapping her arms around her fiancé's stomach.

(Y/n)'s heart skipped a beat when he saw Brother Night sit up, his eyes glowing bright red. The former agent cursed loudly before slowing Ghost down as quickly as he could, letting the train pass before turning around and fleeing in the opposite direction.

(Y/n): "What were you thinking?! Jumping out of a moving train with no protective gear or spell! You just scared me half to death!"

Zatanna: "I knew you'd catch me, and I couldn't stand being on that train a second longer. Where'd you get the horse?"

(Y/n): "You know, it's kind of a strange story."

Zatanna: "You didn't steal it did you?"

(Y/n): "Even if I did it would be justified. But no, I met someone who claimed to be an old friend of Alfred. He let me borrow the horse and gave me a handgun."

Zatanna: "Please tell me you have a plan."

(Y/n): "I do in fact have a plan.  We're heading to a port and going to hop on the first boat out of the country."