~Chapter 1~

Grant's POV:

"Ellie!!" I called up the stairs, "Can you come downstairs for me please?"

I heard Ellie starting to move upstairs. She started stomping downstairs. As she was coming downstairs, she said "If you're going to try and get me to come down to your office you've got another thing coming."

"One, don't give me that attitude and two, you haven't been to the dentist in over a year. You're overdue for a checkup."

"I don't care. I'm not going."

I knew this was going to be difficult but after our parents died in a car crash 2 years ago, I started to look after my sister, Ellie. She always tries to dodge her appointments by saying she's busy with homework or she's going out with her friends. I don't understand what I can say to her to get her to come down to my office.

"Ellie, if you don't come for your checkup I'm gonna take your phone."

"Grant! You can't do that!"

"Ellie, I know you're scared but you have to have a checkup. It's not gonna take long and I'll be as gentle and as quick as I can be. You just have to trust me."

"Fine, I guess. I'll go but only if you don't take my phone!"

"I'll only take your phone if you don't come with me and have a checkup"

"Okay, fine. When is it?"

"Now."

"WHAT!! No, Grant, I can't do that!" she screams.

"Hey, hey Ellie. Calm down. It's okay."

Wow, I didn't think she would react like that. I knew she was scared and everything but I thought that she would want to get it over and done with.

I ask "Ellie, is there something bothering you in your mouth that you haven't told me about? Is that why you don't want to go?"

"No, there isn't anything bothering me apart from you keep nagging me to go. You don't understand why I don't want to go! It's just so easy for you, you just go to the clinic and you get one of your mates, but I don't." She said practically crying.

"I'm only nagging you because I care about your health and want you to be healthy. I understand that you are scared of the dentist but I know a lot of people who are scared of the dentist but I help them feel comfortable and okay with it all. I do get my mates to give me a checkup at the office, you're right, but surely having your big brother is better than having a stranger check your teeth?"

"But I am healthy, Grant, I know I am, so why do you have to drag me to that place just to tell me. I guess you're right about having you as my dentist but I don't like you when you keep nagging me!"

"Ellie, I'm sure you are healthy, but you have to have a checkup. There may be something that comes up in an x-ray that you can't feel. We don't know until we go." "Now should we go?"

"I'm not gonna win this so I guess we should..."

Ellie and I walk into the hallway and put on our shoes and I pick up the car keys and we head to the car.

Ellie's POV

I don't understand why Grant wants me to go to his office so much. I know I'm healthy, so I don't have to go through that hell just to be told the same thing.

The car journey over was practically silent apart from the quiet radio playing through the car speakers. I didn't have anything to say to Grant. The 15min drive felt like 30 seconds but Grant soon pulled up in a parking space outside his office.

Grant opened his door but I just sat there and didn't want to get out. He came to my side of the car and opened the door with quite an annoyed look on his face.

"Ellie, you need to get out of the car."

"I don't want to go. I don't NEED to go."

"Ellie, out now."

He was pointing his fingers away from the car, telling me to get out of the car. I really didn't want to go. That place terrifies me. It is definitely my worst nightmare.

"No, I don't want to. I'm staying in the car"

"Fine then. Give me your phone or I'm getting James."

No, no, no. He can't get James. He's the worst, he's worse than my brother and I hate my brother when he goes all 'dentist-mode'.

I reluctantly give Grant my phone. Hopefully now James won't come and drag me out of the car. Grant always tells me that James is really nice and he is always gentle with kids but I don't care. James has always been the one that comes to me and Grant when I refuse to do something. Grant just uses him to scare me I swear and then he still thinks he can convince me that he is kind and caring. Well, that's not what I have experienced.

"Thank you. Now get out of the car."

"You think that me giving you my phone will make me 'obey' your orders? I don't think so!"

Does he really think that I'm going to just say yes to everything he says even though he has just taken my phone?

"Fine. I'll get James"

"NO!! Grant, I'll get out, I'll get out!!"

There's no way he's getting James. Absolutely not.

Grant's POV:

Finally, Ellie gets out of the car. I get that she's scared of the dentist but I think she's exaggerating. She doesn't understand how much it pains me to force her to do things that she doesn't want to do. I don't like telling her to get out of the car and go somewhere that she hates but she has to come and have a checkup. She has no choice. I think it's just as well that I'm her dentist, otherwise I think she would absolutely lose it and would never step foot in a dental office or ever speak to me.

"Thank you, Ellie." I say to her once she has got out of the car.

I tell her to just wait a second whilst I lock the car and get the keys to open the office. The office closes at 6:30pm and it's 7pm now. I told James that we would be coming down later, after closing and that I didn't tell Ellie until I got home. He said he would wait around for when we got here in case I needed any help. I'm glad I didn't need to get James because I know how much Ellie hates him but sometimes he's the only way Ellie will do something.

We walk into the office and Ellie completely freezes in shock....