~Chapter 5~

Grant's POV:

It's the next day and I'm awake pretty early because I have to be at the clinic for 8am for it to open at 8:30am. I don't think Ellie is up yet, but I've made her a cup of tea just in case she comes downstairs. I'll go up to her room before I leave, but I need to start to get ready.

I go up to my bedroom and put on a pair of scrubs - just the ordinary light blue ones today. I slightly open Ellie's door just to see if she is awake; I think she is.

"Yes? Can I help you?" She says half-awake.

"Good morning, Ellie. I was just checking if you were awake or not. There's a cup of tea downstairs on the table for you if you want it."

"Thank you! I'll get changed and I'll go down to get it."

I nod and close her door to leave her to get changed. I hope she isn't going to start to worry about her appointment later. Once I've got everything that I need from my bedroom, I go downstairs and start making my lunch. Normally, I would take it to work with me, but as I'm coming back later to pick E up I decide that I could just put it in the fridge for later. I hear Ellie start to come down the stairs. I pick her cup of tea up and put it in the microwave for it to heat up again.

"I've just put your cup of tea in the microwave for it to heat up. How are you feeling this morning?"

"I'm okay, I guess. I don't want to go to your office later but I suppose I have to."

"I'm glad you're okay at least. You do have to come to my office later but it will be fine. There's nothing to worry about, E, okay? You can take as much time as you need. We will have plenty of time."

And with that, the microwave had finished. I got her cup of tea out and gave it to her telling her it will be very hot.

"Thanks, Grant. Don't you have other patients after me? So, we don't have loads of time?"

"There's plenty of time to fill your cavity, princess. Your cavity will only take about 15 mins to actually fill, so the rest of the time is spare. Do you want me to make you some lunch so we can take it down later?"
"O-o-okay, that's okay then. Sure, but only if you have time, I don't want to make you late."
"It's okay, Ellie. I have plenty of time. It's only 7am."

I make Ellie a chicken salad - the same as me. Ellie sits at the breakfast bar whilst I make it, when all of a sudden she asks me a question.

"Will it hurt?"
"Will what hurt, E?"
"My cavity, will it hurt to fill?"
"You will be numb when I fill it. You won't feel a thing."
"Oh no, does that mean a NEEDLE!" She said very worriedly.
"Hey, hey, E. Don't worry about it now. Yes, it does mean a needle but you will have already been numbed by some topical gel anyway, the needle won't hurt. It'll only be a small pinch. You will be absolutely fine. I promise. Don't think about it until later." I say, trying to keep her calm.

After I said that, she just stayed silent. I went back to making her salad for later. Once I've finished making it, I put it in the fridge.

"Before I come back at lunch, can you make sure you have brushed your teeth. I'll clean them down at the clinic but you need to clean them this morning too."
"Yeah, fine, whatever," she said, not really caring.
"Ellie, why don't you care about cleaning your teeth? You should just do it without a prompt anymore. You're old enough now. If you don't clean them before you come to my office later, I'll clean your teeth for you for a week and I know you don't like me doing that."

For someone that does care about her health, she doesn't show much care about her oral health. I keep telling her that it is important but I never seem to be able to get the message across to her. She always just bats it away like it's nothing. Maybe if I get someone from my office to tell her, she might start to do something. I don't want to scare her but she needs to start caring about it. I won't tell James because she is terrified of him. I think I'll tell Tobey. He's the paediatric dentist at my office, so I think he would be able to get the message about her health across to her.

"Ellie, I have to go now. Make sure you're ready by 12:30pm!"
"Bye, Grant. I will be, don't worry!"

When I get to the clinic, I'll see if Tobey is free around lunch.

Ellie's POV:

Everything Grant has said this morning has made me more and more nervous. I don't want a NEEDLE! I'm so scared of needles! I've never had any treatment at the dentist before, so I've never had to experience anything like that but now I do and I am so, so scared! Now, Grant's gone, I can kind of forget about it until he comes later. He told me I have to clean my teeth before I go, which I don't understand if he's just going to clean them when I'm there. And, how is he going to know anyway? I'll probably clean them before we leave, so he can see that I've cleaned them.

I go up to my room and just chill out and listen to some music to pass the time.

*15 MINUTES LATER*

Grant's POV:

I get to my office and I set my bag down and go to see if I can find Tobey to ask him about later. I get to his office and I see that he's sat at his computer looking at his schedule.

Tobey's POV:

I got into the office about 15 mins ago and sorted myself out and logged onto my computer. I start to look at my schedule, and see that I have quite a busy day today. Mostly young teens, it could be quite a difficult day! I see Grant step into my exam room and just poke his head around the corner.

"Hey mate, what can I do for you?"
"Hi, Tobey. I have a question..."
"Shoot it at me!"
"Are you busy around 12:30 pm today?
"Let me just have a look....." "No, I don't think I am, why?"
"Well, Ellie is coming down for an appointment to get her cavity filled today and the only time I could really do it was around 12:30pm - my lunch break. And I was speaking to her this morning about cleaning her teeth before she comes down here later and she just kind of brushed it off like it was nothing and she wasn't bothered if she didn't clean her teeth. I was just wondering if you could talk to her about the importance of her oral health for me? She won't listen to me, and I figured since you're the paediatric dentist you could convince her?"
"Wow, I thought she was big on being healthy and everything. Yeah, sure I can mate. I'll see what I can do."
"Yeah, me too but I guess not. Thank you, Tobey!"