Chapter 16: Lost case

A/N

I am sorry for the delay in updating the chapter. I was so busy with college schedule and I had a marriage to attend. But, I am back on track and y'all will have chapters regularly. 

Alex's POV

"Arrange a meeting right now. I am reaching in half an hour." I said over the phone. Jacob didn't dare to whimper or protest about Sunday morning spoiling. Rather, in an instant, he hung up.

I looked at Teresa sitting on my lap as my hand tightened its grip around her waist. "I need to go to the office immediately."

"And I will not stop you. Go get ready," she said, smiling as she planted a kiss on my cheek and stood up. I cleared my throat as I watched her retreating figure back to the kitchen.

Ignoring the urge to go after her and comfort myself under her touch, I went upstairs, straight to my closet, as I changed into formal attire. Teresa was standing in the doorway with a smile on her face, making my heart jump on a trampoline like a kid.

I sucked in a deep breath and headed towards my car, giving a peck on Teresa's forehead. Even though the silence was comfortable, there was a storm brewing inside of me. Developing and manufacturing gas turbine cleaning systems extended the horizon of my business domain, adding to the other small business I acquired. Four years of hard work in an area where I had no expertise; was profitable indeed. As soon as I started getting government projects for high-quality systems, the profit in this field increased, eventually. One branch became two, soon after, two became twelve. Even though my primary profit came to from hotel chains all over the world, I came started the transportation business with a cargo ship delivering and importing oil from different parts of the world.

I reached the office, Jacob standing in the hallway with furrowed brows, tapping his foot on the ground vigorously. His face snapped toward my footsteps and I gave him a nod. As soon as Jacob opened the conference hall and I stepped in, all the murmurs died. The silence was so cold as if the arctic ocean fell upon everyone. I sat on the head chair, Jacob taking his position to my left.

To Jacob's left was Dennis, the head of security of the port. To my right were Charles, head of the department of that branch and his assistant. One by one, I glanced at everyone present in the room, piercing daggers into the guts.

"Sir," Jacob said, making me raise a brow because in his long duration of service he called me 'sir' for three times only. This better not spoil my mood. "A fire broke out in the server area of ​​the building at 7 am today. According to sources, there was so severe damage. Umm- one file is missing."

"Which is?"

"The detailed expansion plan of building 3 in the port of Deauville," Jacob said.

I looked at the head of security, clenching my jaw as the blood boiled inside my veins. "May I know where the fuck securities and officers were?"

"I am afraid they were all inspecting the fire when files went missing," Dennis said.

"And what do we have in recordings? Any picture?" I asked. Jacob blinked once, and an uneasy feeling settled in me, making me clench the already tensed jaw more.

He opened the folder in his hands, flipped through pages and pulled out two photographs. "This is all we have,"

An image of a man in the sweeper uniform, with the logo of the company on the brown jacket. It was blurry and distant, not at all visible other than the chin as half of the face go covered with a hat. I inhaled all the air in the room and looked at everyone.