Chapter 43: Who

Alex's POV

“What does the note say, Alex,” Teresa asked from behind, peeking through my shoulder. I inhaled a breath, following the gate as I crumbled the paper and put it in my jean pocket. Teresa’s hands rubbed my biceps, and I felt more distressed. I was numb. Utterly numb when they pulled a sniper to aim at us, as if I was there, but not there.

It was the weakest I had felt after so long and I still couldn’t calm the thunder in me. Not even when Teresa was squeezing my arms here and there.

Mark banged the gate open with furrowed brows. His eyes narrowed as they met mine, wrinkle forming on the forehead; a sign of distress and ageing.

Before I could say anything, he walked past me and placed our luggage to the right of the centre table. As my anger increased, I clenched my jaw. I know it was not his fault, but I made him security head for no reason and this was the second time anything so close to dying happened to Teresa.

I sat on the white leather chair with my hands wrapped around my chest. My eyes lifted to look at Teresa. She was in her dream world as well. As if sensing my glare, her head snapped in my direction. Her foot moved to my right, sitting on the armrest of the chair with one hand on my opposite shoulder and the other on my chest.

“Anything you want to say about your second failed attempt at security?” I asked Mark. He stiffened on his track, looking in my eyes with worry.

Before Mark could open his mouth to say anything, Teresa pressed her palm on my chest. I did not look up at her, my eyes sending daggers at Mark. “You are asking the wrong question to the wrong man. How did they know we were coming back today?”

“Maybe their car followed me to the airport. Or even before that?” Mark said.

Even if they followed him, how thick were the chances that Pheonix men knew the time of our flight or Mark’s schedule to follow us? Had someone passed information to them under my nose? I did not know, and this was forming a major headache.

I lifted my palm, rubbing it on the face, my brows relaxing a tad. “Did you talk to anyone about us?”

“No, sir. I did not. No one knew about the trip except Jacob and me, considering the danger looming around.”

“That doesn’t matter anymore. The question is who and why after so much silence they are trying something?” Teresa asked.

I looked up at her with a tight jaw. I was half as content as she was right now, but my brain and heart were at war right now. Arguing should I tell her about the note, or should I not? My brain won. “It was Robert.”

Mark looked at me as he gulped down, his eyes growing wide, with lips apart. He sat down on the couch as if standing was too weak of an effort. Teresa looked down at me, blinking a few times with knitted brows.

Same, baby. Same.

The silence was deafening in the mansion, so much so that I could hear the faint intake of Teresa’s breath. Robert had crossed many limits, considering the past and present. I couldn’t prevent what he did to my parents and threatened to do with Amelia. I did not know the truth then… I was blinded by betrayal. I knew the connections he had with the mafia, but Pheonix? Extreme insanity.

“What the hell does he want? Is there any reason he is after you? Because jealousy seems the worst of them.” Teresa said, sighing heavily.

“It might be a big thing for us, but it can be a play game for him. He likes to get into your head, Sir.” I nodded at Mark, chewing on my bottom lip.

“I trust you, Mark. But recently that trust… I can feel it diminishing. Do you suspect anyone from your team?” I asked.

Something like hurt flashed in his eyes as he narrowed them, without relaxing the pressure between his brows. He had been the chief of security since the beginning, and the most loyal one. No matter if I show him or not, he was a member of the inner circle. “I will look into it right now. If you dismiss me.” Having said that, he stormed out of the room.